starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stomach hurting my progress

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Cut out the grains.
    Basically should I eat gluten free? Brown rice should be fine I guess?

Ivan K, take a look at this blog. This Doc has quite a bit of information on the diet's impact on stress, depression, IBS and so on. She covers the science with humor and is quite easy to read. I'm sure you will find the info useful. Some recent posts note that many folks who know they are lactose intolerent are often gluten intolerent, too and don't know it. The impact of the two problems is evident but it's tough to ferret out that there's an interaction going on.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankannan View Post
    Basically should I eat gluten free? Brown rice should be fine I guess?
    Yes, gluten is one of the worst things you can eat. I would ditch all grains for a time and see if you get better. Then you can add gluten-free ones (rice, oats) back into your diet and see how your body responds.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Yes, gluten is one of the worst things you can eat. I would ditch all grains for a time and see if you get better. Then you can add gluten-free ones (rice, oats) back into your diet and see how your body responds.
    For some people.

The ability to tolerate dairy was a fairly rapid evolutionary adaptation, common among Northern Europeans, in particular. I suspect that many populations that have been eating wheat and it's cousins for as nearly as long as they have been drinking milk have made some adaptation to it.

However, wheat and dairy are pretty historically coupled, and it IS entirely possible that if you can't tolerate one, the other could give you trouble.

I'd also suggest seriously giving a gluten-free diet a go for a month and see if that helps. I have a friend who had been given the run-around with docs giving him medications to treat symptoms for eight years before he realized he was gluten-intolerant.

The gas had gotten so bad for him that his stomach was swolen like those starving kids and he had gotten very skinny. When he cut gluten, the stomach went back to normal and he gained 20lb in less than a month.

His symptoms sound a little different than yours but I always feel compelled to suggest people try to cut gluten since it can really mess up some people. Only prob is, gluten is in a *lot* of foods so eating this way may be challenging if you're financially strapped or live in a rural area.

My stomach is bloated very big throughout the day.

Maybe a stupid question, but how much veg do you eat?
    Frozen mixed-veg is cheap as hell, adding a bowl of that a day may help.

I boil broccoli in water for 5 mins and eat it, usually for dinner. Sometimes I eat a carrot. Thats about it. Otherwise if I eat at Subway for lunch I get more veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    For some people.

The ability to tolerate dairy was a fairly rapid evolutionary adaptation, common among Northern Europeans, in particular. I suspect that many populations that have been eating wheat and it's cousins for as nearly as long as they have been drinking milk have made some adaptation to it.

However, wheat and dairy are pretty historically coupled, and it IS entirely possible that if you can't tolerate one, the other could give you trouble.
    Humans have been drinking milk for as long as they were humans. The only problem is that we stop making lactase after a certain age. So milk is not a big deal. Now raw milk is even better, but I won't get into that.

On the other hand we have only started consuming grains about 10,000 years ago. Gluten and other stuff in grains are extremely foreign to the human body, unlike good ol' milk.

starting strength coach development program
    So even if I am not gluten-intolerant, avoiding gluten is a good idea?
    But I find that once gluten is removed, there seem to be very less choices.
    Yesterday night I ate brown rice + baked chicken and today morning I ate oats with lactaid milk, some nuts and now will eat egg rice (brown rice + brown eggs!) and tilapia fillets. My stomach is totally silent till now and I am kinda hungry. I hope it continues like that so that I can slowly increase the amount of food I eat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast