starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elbow Pain from Squats

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I recently got a pair of forearm wraps

I can keep the grip that previously caused elbow pain

The question you need to ask yourself is "what am I doing wrong?" We can provide you with suggestions, but if you don't know exactly what's wrong then you won't really know exactly what to do about it.

Personally, I had major issues with bar placement, which was causing my elbow pain. In the end, it turned out that I wasn't keeping my chest up/not keeping my upper back in extension, which would cause the bar to roll down my back a bit. In order to prevent the bar from falling off my back, I would have to support it on my back with my arms, which was causing my elbow problems. I fixed it by resetting my squat weight (which I had to do anyways since this issue was causing my squat to stall) and focusing all my energy on keeping my chest up, hard.

So, find out what YOU are doing wrong, and fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    There are two good threads on this board regarding the elbow pain. Each has useful recommendations. SEARCH FUNCTION.
    Aside from the ideas in those threads, I used chalk for the first time yesterday (300x5,5,5) and it was the most amazingly stable squat session since I was around the 200 lb range. Really solid, no bar movement or slipping in the hands. Now there are other things that you probably need to do for shoulders/elbows, but chalk rocks.
    You got to 3x5x300 and you just started using chalk?!

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    The question you need to ask yourself is "what am I doing wrong?" We can provide you with suggestions, but if you don't know exactly what's wrong then you won't really know exactly what to do about it.
    There may be a small problem there, I've been changing things around a lot (grip width, wrist bend, thumb placement) trying to see if anything will alleviate the problem. And of course I don't knowingly let my elbows drop during a set. I'll try to get a video up here in a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
    You got to 3x5x300 and you just started using chalk?!
    Yep, and I had no idea that it was such a great addition to my gym bag. I live on a tight budget, so I just hadn't made it to chalk on my "stuff to get" list. Shoes are next, I'm still in chucks - and those Romaleos sound pretty nice.

To the OP, my fixes were: chest up (with conviction for the WHOLE set), elbows up, straight wrists, add chin-ups, ibuprofen, and add chalk (in that order).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylikey View Post
    There may be a small problem there, I've been changing things around a lot (grip width, wrist bend, thumb placement) trying to see if anything will alleviate the problem. And of course I don't knowingly let my elbows drop during a set. I'll try to get a video up here in a little bit.
    Basic stuff to think about:

- Thumbs around
    - Wrists straight (bent upwards or bent downwards may cause issues)
    - Proper grip width - not too wide or too narrow (personally, my squat grip is such that my pinky fingers rest on the grip markings)
    - Elbows up
    - Chest up, back in proper thoracic extension

Also keep in mind that the arms are simply holding the bar against the upper back, i.e. the arms aren't directly supporting the weight. Or at least they shouldn't be, and if they are, that's probably what's causing your elbow issues.

Chalk is fun and all but I'm not exactly sure what you need chalk for squats for. I've seen guys rub it all over their backs and hands and make great clouds with it.

I like it for heavy deadlifts and the quick lifts so that I don't tear my callouses but otherwise it doesn't really seem terribly important.

The benefit was that it kept my usually sweaty palms from sliding, which helped me keep the bar pressed against my back. I also put a little bit on the middle of the bar to get better traction against my sweat-soaked shirt. My base gym is hot and poorly ventilated, and I'm dripping sweat by the time I get to my work sets.

My gym isn't air-conditioned. It helps keep it on the back and keep the hands from sliding. water + metal, even with knurling, can get slick.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh, yes, and I had a similar problem. I did high bar and front squats until my elbow felt better, then, when I did low bar again, I found out what was causing the problem, I think: I was essentially trying to bend the bar across my back. When I let up a bit, things got better. I mean, I was still damn tight and my arms were tight with the bar and all that, but I wasn't trying to bend the bar across my back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast