starting strength gym

Thread: Upper-left corner chest pain

Default Upper-left corner chest pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    A few weeks ago I started feeling pain in the upper-left corner of my chest while doing bench presses. I completed all the sets, but they were not great. Two days later I felt the same pain doing dips, only worse, and I had to stick with the body weight warm-ups I usually do. I was forced to back off on the bench presses next time, but apparently didn't do so fast enough because I am now unable to do more than one set of 5 at my 3x5 max, and also unable to do a single body weight dip. The pain gradually flares up during sets of weighted pull-ups, but fortunately it is totally absent during overhead presses.

I can feel the pain if I pinch the upper-left corner of my chest, so I assume that's what's injured. Perhaps the pain is actually coming from the tip of my bicep that ends behind the chest muscles, but if that were the case, I would have expected pain during curls, which there isn't. And yet there is pain during weighed pull-ups.

Has anyone experienced this pain before, and if so, what did you find helpful for it?

Dude. Could be so many things.

Mash your thumb into your acromioclavicular joint. Pain?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Dude. Could be so many things.

Mash your thumb into your acromioclavicular joint. Pain?
    It's mildly sore, but it is on the right shoulder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kangarootaco View Post
    It's mildly sore, but it is on the right shoulder as well.
    See a doc

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    See a doc
    It seems that won't be necessary. When I posted last week, I had dropped my daily Vitamin D dosage to 1000IU after taking 3000IU daily for eight weeks, according to the plan my doctor recommended in August (see http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=52940 ). But after posting about it, I decided to try going back to 3000IU to see if that made any difference. A week later the pain is completely gone. There is not even the slightest hint of it when I do bench presses or weighted pull-ups. I'll be trying weighted dips again on Wednesday, but the body-weight dips I tried today (Monday) were completely painless as well.
    Last edited by kangarootaco; 11-03-2014 at 05:30 AM.