starting strength gym

Thread: Question regarding veganism and cancer risk

Default Question regarding veganism and cancer risk

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Jordan -

I've been eating around 3700 calories a day for a few months now, with most of my protein coming from various meats.

I keep hearing about various studies (such as this one: http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/22/2/286.full) however, and it is worrying me a little.

I guess I just want to know whether you think there could be some truth in the debate about vegan (or vegetarian) diets being safer overall.

I've also heard the 'humans weren't meant to eat meat' debate (pointing out various similarities between our digestive systems and herbivores) and other studies about dairy (Dairy products and cancer. - PubMed - NCBI).

1. Should I be concerned about this?

and 2. Are you, or have you ever considered going, vegan or vegetarian?

Any help/advice would be great, thanks.

1) No. We are, in fact, designed* to eat meat. We are opportunistic omnivores. Our digestive systems will not tolerate a vegan diet without supplementation.

2) No, because I like being strong. And Bacon. I like Bacon.

3) Don't go vegan if you value being strong, attracting gorgeous women, and bacon.

*I don't really mean designed
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 05-01-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    1) No. We are, in fact, designed to eat meat. We are opportunistic omnivores. Our digestive systems will not tolerate a vegan diet without supplementation.

2) No, because I like being strong. And Bacon. I like Bacon.

3) Don't go vegan if you value being strong, attracting gorgeous women, and bacon.
    Regarding answer #1, if you don't mind, is there any literature that you would recommend on this subject?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BigA View Post
    Regarding answer #1, if you don't mind, is there any literature that you would recommend on this subject?

Thanks!
    The entire field of paleoanthropology.

Thanks!
    Basic anatomy. The guts of our primate relatives favor a hind gut fermenter approach and that's how a male silver back gorilla gets huge off leaf matter. Just like a quarter horse. Conversely, we have a long small intestines and a short hind gut which points to an omnivore.

You do know the rate of cancer has NOT increased in the US over time, right?

Thanks!
    Do we really need literature on this? It should be obvious. Humans are the apex predator. We exist to rule. We have developed to both kill, forage and harvest our food. This is common sense and is wholly revealed by both our current existence on this planet and the history of our development as a species. I am shocked that this is even a question.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Do we really need literature on this? It should be obvious. Humans are the apex predator. We exist to rule. We have developed to both kill, forage and harvest our food. This is common sense and is wholly revealed by both our current existence on this planet and the history of our development as a species. I am shocked that this is even a question.
    I'm not asking in order to debate, I'm asking because I would like to learn and see what books others recommend on this subject. This is not my field of expertise and I don't currently have anything intelligent to say about it but I would like that to change.