starting strength gym

Thread: BCAA Manufacture Source

Default BCAA Manufacture Source

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Jordan, does it matter for MPS what sources BCAA supplements are manufactured from? Eg. plant vs animal source.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanceteer View Post
    Hi Jordan, does it matter for MPS what sources BCAA supplements are manufactured from? Eg. plant vs animal source.
    It matters the amount of the BCAAs, not the source provided they are free form BCAAs and not bound/chelated to other bullshittery.

Jordan, slightly unrelated question.

I read your advice about protein timing, which suggests hitting a leucine target on every meal. If I'm having a light meal that doesn't hit the leucine target, like say a Quest bar in the afternoon, which appears to have <1g leucine, would it make sense to top up by taking 5g BCAA ? I'm already taking BCAAs between meals 2-3 times per day on average.

This would look something like

8am breakfast >3g leucine
    10am BCAA
    noon lunch >3g leucine
    2pm BCAA
    4pm snack <3g leucine + BCAA
    6pm BCAA
    8pm dinner >3g leucine

Quote Originally Posted by CremaKing View Post
    Jordan, slightly unrelated question.

I read your advice about protein timing, which suggests hitting a leucine target on every meal. If I'm having a light meal that doesn't hit the leucine target, like say a Quest bar in the afternoon, which appears to have <1g leucine, would it make sense to top up by taking 5g BCAA ? I'm already taking BCAAs between meals 2-3 times per day on average.

This would look something like

8am breakfast >3g leucine
    10am BCAA
    noon lunch >3g leucine
    2pm BCAA
    4pm snack <3g leucine + BCAA
    6pm BCAA
    8pm dinner >3g leucine
    Sure, but what makes you think that A Quest bar has <1g leucine?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Sure, but what makes you think that A Quest bar has <1g leucine?
    I couldn't find any definitve info on this. Just a second hand account of what someone told them that Quest said. They stated that Quest did not know the exact amino acid content, but thought the leucine content was between 0.5 & 1g. I'm a little bummed if this is true. I love using them for my protein source for an afternoon snack/meal. Looks like I may have to switch to a whey shake.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    I couldn't find any definitve info on this. Just a second hand account of what someone told them that Quest said. They stated that Quest did not know the exact amino acid content, but thought the leucine content was between 0.5 & 1g. I'm a little bummed if this is true. I love using them for my protein source for an afternoon snack/meal. Looks like I may have to switch to a whey shake.
    I find that hard to believe with Whey protein and milk protein as their first ingredients, but hey- if you find out more info let me know.