starting strength gym

Thread: Fiber

Default Fiber

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    It's a pita to get 40g fiber. At least for me right now. Time for cooking is very tricky these days. Is it worth it to add Psillium husk to shakes to get fiber up to 40g? I'm trending around 14-25g fiber now.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    It's a pita to get 40g fiber. At least for me right now. Time for cooking is very tricky these days. Is it worth it to add Psillium husk to shakes to get fiber up to 40g? I'm trending around 14-25g fiber now.
    Steam in a bag veggies, fruits, instant oats, beans, etc. are all waaaaay too easy to cook/transport to need psyllium husk- so I'd do those instead.

Psyllium husk also sucks to mix/drink.

Brussels sprouts are my go to for high fiber veggies. 1 Cup which is about 8ish sprouts is like 4g of fiber. There's probably 3-4 servings in your average steamable bag. One bag of those a day nets you 12-16g of fiber which should pretty much make up your fiber deficit.

They're also bomb, put a little butter and salt on them, bacon/cheese if your macros allow. Easy peasy.

It sounds like you're almost there, bud. What are you eating today?

Psyllium husk might be the most foul thing ever. Next to unflavored BCAA's that is.

Looking for easy. I hate vegetables. Will aim for more instant oats and beans I guess

I'll add my deep hate for psyllium husk powder - I hate the horrid stuff.

On the fiber recommendation I've always looked at it as a macro for encouraging nutrient rich carbs, eg. yams instead of white rice, whole wheat bread instead of white, etc. And a good way to make sure I keep my "schedule".

What say you Jordan?

I put large handfulls of greens and a cup of frozen blueberries in my morning shake. Except for the color, the greens all but disappear into the smoothie. I'll third the frozen veggie thing too. 1/2 lb of frozen green beans or broccoli adds some bulk and fiber to my lunch.

Avocado shakes. Really. You can't have less than 30g a day of you drink one avocado shake a day.

I use the big, smooth skin variety that is popular here in Brazil (Hall avocado), but any avocado will work. The thing has 6g of fiber per 100g of fruit and I can put three times that on my blender with strawberries and whey easily. It's almost like cheating your macros.

OP could learn to love vegetables. It doesn't get much easier than a frozen, microwavable bag of them. Some even have some sort of sauce on them in the bag.

Or microwaving a potato and topping with a bit of butter and seasoning. Super easy.

I can relate as I used to despise oatmeal. But I figured I should probably learn to like it. Now I eat that stuff every day. I guess what I'm saying is forming new habits isn't always fun but it can be rewarding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

starting strength coach development program
    This is my morning "PB & J Oatmeal". 1/2 cup of Old Fashioned Oats, Chia seeds (5g or fiber per 12g serving), Teddies Natural Peanut Butter and a serving of Polaner's "All Fruit with Fiber" line of jams which have 3g fiber per 5g of carbohydrates (I use the sugar free to fit my macros).
    The fiber total of this bowl if delicious is 18g.