starting strength gym

Thread: Should I be gaining weight?

Default Should I be gaining weight?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Jordan,

I wanted to run my plan by you. I'm going to make a diet change, but I'm hesitant.

Male, 29, 6'1", 228.6 lbs this morning

I'm currently running a 4-day TM split with 2 days of conditioning pushing the prowler as per TBAB recommendations. My intensity day lifts are:
    Squat: 340 x5
    Bench: 255 x 3 x 2
    Press: 150 x 3 x 2
    Power clean: 190 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 395 x 5

I've had my macros set at 220/400/100 P/C/F for two months, and in that time my weight has gone from 217 to 228. I had a week vacation in there eating and drinking like crazy, and my weekends havn't been strict. So I know my data points are garbage to go on. But my question is this: Should I keep my macros where they are and tighten the hell up on weekends, or should I drop some carbs and fat in addition to tightening the hell up on weekends? I guess I'm wondering if those macros sound right for a person in my situation if I were to quit screwing around on the weekends.

My lifts are going fine. Recovery is fine. I'm happy with my progress. But I'm afraid I'm getting too fat. I would like to continue my strength gains, allow for hypertrophy, but not get obese in the process.

I appreciate your thoughts.

If you don't want to get too fat, the weekends will have to change but if you want to get stronger and bigger, you'll have to gain weight for a little bit slowly but surely.