starting strength gym

Thread: persistent calf muscle pain

Default persistent calf muscle pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Back in May, I became more active on the field, running around playing frisbee, etc. A week after doing so, both my calves felt like they were on the verge of a pull. There was this tightness that would occur everytime I isometrically contracted them from a standing position. Eventually, the right one pulled while playing a very light game of frisbee. The day after, the area was red and inflamed, and healed up fast. But before it did, I pulled it again a couple weeks later in the midst of a tennis match. Again, the next day, it became red and inflamed, and healed up fast.

During all of this, I never pulled my left calf, but the tightness and sharp pain would still be there. It ebbed and recurred a bit, depending on how intense I was playing sports, but it never fully went back to normal.

It is now nearly October, and I have tried the following:

1: Concentric only calf raises,
    2: Eccentric only calf raises
    3: Prowler (with two different types of gait).
    4: Rest

With each of these rehab attempts, I've taken at least two weeks with each one to really do it carefully with progressive increase in resistance. As a result, my right calf feels great, but the left one hasn't improved at all. I still get that sharp tight pain when I isometrically flex it against the resistance of the floor (i.e. standing up with feet planted on ground). It doesn't hurt at all if I fully plantar flex and contract the muscle as hard as I can - I get pain only during that isometric contraction (e.g. when muscle contracts just before you jump).

The pain is in the muscle belly - I think the gastroc.

I even tried stretching one day, but it felt worse the next day.

I broke my toe three weeks ago, so I haven't done any sports at all, yet all this rest hasn't made one iota of difference in my left calf. I should say that throughout this entire period, I've continued to squat and deadlift, so I haven't taken complete rest. But I don't get the sense that squatting and deadlifting aggravate this at all.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps the only way I can make it heal is to actually pull it properly, like the right one, generating a proper inflammatory response (although I've tried heavy eccentric calf "lowers" with no success).

Anyone have any advice? Would some sort of deep tissue massage maybe help?

strech, foam role, massage

thanks, I'll give the foam rolling and massage a try over the next few days.