starting strength gym

Thread: Muscle Protein Synthesis in different age groups

Default Muscle Protein Synthesis in different age groups

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was wondering if there is really that much of a difference in the rate of muscle growth for men in their thirties compared to men in their twenties. Most of what I've seen regarding this has been directed toward guys in their forties and over, which leads me to think that thirties are still a good age to gain size and strength.

The recommendation of 4 large meals and a gallon of milk a day seems less applicable to a 30 y.o. 5'9" 190 lb. advanced novice, or am I wrong?

Thanks very much for taking the time to read and answer this.

You are correct there's not that much difference between a guy in his 20's and a guy in his 30's, unless we're talking about 21 to 39 (e.g. the extremes) but your point is valid. There are, however, huge differences between people at a given age, but that's for another post.

As for this:

The recommendation of 4 large meals and a gallon of milk a day seems less applicable to a 30 y.o. 5'9" 190 lb. advanced novice, or am I wrong?
    Where did you ascertain that this is the recommendation?

It was in one of Rip's articles (from 2013 I believe, he recently posted a link to it in his Q&A), though he states it would be for a 5'10" 165 lb. 20 y.o. novice. So not necessarily the rocommendarion for other demographics, and that your recommendations may differ from Rip's.

In any case it seemed like it would produce a pretty hefty caloric surplus that I wasn't sure would still be appropriate in my demographic.

Thanks again for your help.

The recommendation is specific to the demographic, which is not you. I wouldn't recommend it either for a guy like you.

Yeah that's what I figured.

What would you recommend?

Would finding an estimate of TDEE and eating at a surplus of about 500 calories be reasonable, or should I adjust that up or down to still ensure recovery?

Thank you for taking the time to help.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    Yeah that's what I figured.

What would you recommend?

Would finding an estimate of TDEE and eating at a surplus of about 500 calories be reasonable, or should I adjust that up or down to still ensure recovery?

Thank you for taking the time to help.
    I'll refer you to this: Click Me