starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skinny-fat confusion.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    We have an article coming up about our position on body composition and I may share some of the experience. In short, I started out skinny fat as a teen, was able to get up to a 315 squat and deadlift and hit 10-15 chins without much effort (I cycled a lot as a child and swam in high school so not sure if that contributed) but stayed at a 200 lb bench press for a good decade before I found this material. I introduced the press in my mid 20s and trained it when I ran the LP. Honestly, getting a big deadlift and press made the biggest difference in my body composition, especially the deadlift. I can walk around at 16-18% these days and still look like I train. But yeah, my advice to guys at the start of this journey is if you care about how you look then get a big deadlift and press and do lots of chins. It will take care of a lot of the typical male physique concerns (i.e. upper body appearance).
    Hey Robert, thanks for responding. I saw you by 500lbs a while ago - nice job. I’ll continue working on deadlift and press, I was hoping to hit 500lbs this year but not sure I will make it (sitting around 460lbs just now but in a deficit calorie wise). I've generally prioritised bench historically so press isn’t where it maybe should be.

16-18% sounds good - that’s what I’m aiming for!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    We have an article coming up about our position on body composition and I may share some of the experience. In short, I started out skinny fat as a teen, was able to get up to a 315 squat and deadlift and hit 10-15 chins without much effort (I cycled a lot as a child and swam in high school so not sure if that contributed) but stayed at a 200 lb bench press for a good decade before I found this material. I introduced the press in my mid 20s and trained it when I ran the LP. Honestly, getting a big deadlift and press made the biggest difference in my body composition, especially the deadlift. I can walk around at 16-18% these days and still look like I train. But yeah, my advice to guys at the start of this journey is if you care about how you look then get a big deadlift and press and do lots of chins. It will take care of a lot of the typical male physique concerns (i.e. upper body appearance).
    Thank you sir! Push that press up and pull 500. You’re almost there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12