starting strength gym

Thread: Continue to Lose or Maintain?

Default Continue to Lose or Maintain?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Robert,
    Thanks for what you do here. Just listened to you on the barbell logic podcast and found your comments on Karl Shudt’s progress interesting.
    Male, 43, 5’11” 234.

Best lifts: Squat 515, DL 635, Press 215.

I tore my quad a little over a year ago and spent about 12 months rehabbing that. I am now working to get my squat back up (currently ~455). I also started slowly dieting down from 251 in January. Weight loss was slow and steady with some macro adjustments along the way, but has currently stalled (3 pounds in the last 3 months whilst sitting at 234 for the last 1.5 months).

Current Macros: P 200, Carbs 200, Fat 65

I have visible upper abs (which I don’t care about), but an inch above my belly button and below a nice spare tire and pinch of fat. I believe 225 would be a good number to sit at, but am reticent to drop calories any further.

Would you recommend that I just hang out at 234 for a while (6 months or so) while upping carbs a bit and getting stronger? Or some other approach?
    I truly appreciate your guidance.
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Hi Robert,
    Thanks for what you do here. Just listened to you on the barbell logic podcast and found your comments on Karl Shudt’s progress interesting.
    Male, 43, 5’11” 234.

Best lifts: Squat 515, DL 635, Press 215.

I tore my quad a little over a year ago and spent about 12 months rehabbing that. I am now working to get my squat back up (currently ~455). I also started slowly dieting down from 251 in January. Weight loss was slow and steady with some macro adjustments along the way, but has currently stalled (3 pounds in the last 3 months whilst sitting at 234 for the last 1.5 months).

Current Macros: P 200, Carbs 200, Fat 65

I have visible upper abs (which I don’t care about), but an inch above my belly button and below a nice spare tire and pinch of fat. I believe 225 would be a good number to sit at, but am reticent to drop calories any further.

Would you recommend that I just hang out at 234 for a while (6 months or so) while upping carbs a bit and getting stronger? Or some other approach?
    I truly appreciate your guidance.
    mark
    Thanks for the kind words! Those are some pretty low macros but then again you are rehabbing so thats expected. I think if you want to lose more body fat now is the time to do it because it's going to be mentally challenging once you have sizable weight on the bar again.