starting strength gym

Thread: bulking after 40

Default bulking after 40

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Robert

Are there special considerations for men over 40 when it comes to bulking? My lifts go up when I weigh more but I want to maintain a healthy balance of lean mass to bodyfat. Is it generally a bad idea to try to bulk when past 40, since your metabolism slows down?

Im 39, 5'11 , 225 lbs about 20 %bf - I take 12oz milk w/2scoops of whey twice a day and eat 3 "normal" meals a day.

Looking for generalized advice here

Thanks

Cole

Just depends on your goals and family history. What is your goal, let's start there?

I want to weigh 250 and squat 500 but not if i look like shit and if I cant get my weight back under control since 40+ metabolism slows down. The extreme portion of my personality would like to eat 7k cal and supplement with test to be a beast. BUT I also have kids and dont want to die early...

Goal: Powerlifting total

Family history: Dad and mom pretty healthy going into their 70s, some A-FIB for both. Mother is slightly overweight, dad has been overweight his whole life hes 5'8 240 but he eats like shit and I dont.

Ive been athletic and never fat, yet.

Thanks Robert

Where are your lifts now? Fat, active, and on a healthy diet is different than fat, sedentary, and eating Cheetos and getting drunk daily.

last session was:
    squat 315x5x3 easy
    bench 235x5x3 easy
    DL 335x5 easy but w/discomfort (tendonitis)

best meet was last feb, total 1285 (440, 340, 500) w/ 8 weeks of TM for powerlifting as meet prep

Im active and not fat but not skinny. And no alcohol ever, i dont drink. I guess im trying to decide if the work/reward to get to 250 so I can squat 500 is going to outweight the possible negative side effects, especially at age 40+. I know you can only generalize since you dont know me, but thanks for the input

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome. All I can say is weigh out the consequences and decide where you want to go.