starting strength gym

Thread: Recomp First or Moderate Bulk?

Default Recomp First or Moderate Bulk?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert - long-time listener, first-time caller (or uh poster).

Brief History - Did my first NLP in 2019. Skinny fat at 6' and 180lbs. Got my lifts from Squat 95 to 235, Deadlift from 185 to 285, went up on pressing as well. Got shut down with the gym during COVID (took over several months). Had bulked up to 210 pre-COVID. Have continued to maintain around that weight without ever consistently progressing in the gym again. Every year have tried to restart NLP while doing a weight loss attempt (Keto, Carnivore) - fucked up my lifting, sex drive, and everything else. Always hit a hard wall and then pulled something.

Did a full health workup two months ago. Testosterone and all sex hormones in the tank (under ref range for everything, 280 Test Ng/Dl). Higher blood pressure (140/95). Pre-diabetic A1C (5.8). Feel like crap generally, low energy, brain fog, low sex drive. Low BMR, would gain weight easily on 2,500 calories.

Dove fully into The Vertical Diet, restarted NLP, and got on a very small amount of TRT a month ago (50mg twice weekly). Started at 208lbs with a 41.5" waist. Have tried to roughly establish a baseline for maintenance calories. Eating roughly 2,750 calories per day. Mostly red meat, dairy, an orange, a potato, broth, and some dried fruit. 200g protein, 150g carbs, 120g fat. Now at 206lbs with 40" waist.

Lifts have gone up well the last two months, Squat 135 - 205, Deadlift 185 - 265, Bench 135 - 165, Press 85 - 115. But obviously, these still have a long way to go. Lifts are starting to get more challenging and I want to avoid hitting a wall. However, I also don't want to explode up in calories and weight and aggravate the health issues (primarily blood pressure and sugar).

Considering doing a moderate increase, maybe up to 3,000 calories, to see how I can keep lifts on a steady increase. I know more lean muscle mass will improve insulin sensitivity in the long run, which will have downstream benefits for blood pressure.

I see a lot of the responses and would expect you to tell me to bump up to 3,500 calories until my lifts are at a good baseline compared to bodyweight. Do you think given the metabolic syndrome type bloodwork, that a more moderate approach would be better?

Did it ever occur to you that under-eating when you aren't that heavy to begin with while trying to lift heavy may have thrown some things off?

So I would assume that means, don't worry about the current health indicators. Gain muscle first?

Worry about them yes but address the risk factors you listed here.

Have they checked your levels again yet since starting on TRT? How old are you?