starting strength gym

Thread: High blood pressure meds

Default High blood pressure meds

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Are any of yall aware if ace inhibitors can harm strength gain or cause low testosterone. I am 27 and have blood pressure that run 165 over 95 at times so I feel I need to be on it. I keep a sodium log to ensure I'm not eatting of 3000mg a day. Once my diets on key with the BP med I can get down to 117 over 80, but without the med it still sit around 145 over 88 with perfect diet.

Dizziness and fatigue are known side effects so I'm going to go with yes. I don't see a mechanism for lowering T though.

How and when are you measuring blood pressure? Height/weight/sex? Define a perfect diet.

No more then 3000mg of sodium. Was eating to much due to cheese and Buffalo sauce. Prefect diet is kinda dumb way to say it. I say a good diet is .8g to 1g of protein per pound. Carbs 3g per pound. Fat would be around .5g per pound. Calories around 3000.

Controlling it well with diuretic and ACE inhibitors. As well as some small cardio, 40 mins a week, with normal strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin727 View Post
    Controlling it well with diuretic and ACE inhibitors. As well as some small cardio, 40 mins a week, with normal strength training.
    Griffin,
    I have had high blood pressure as long as I can remember. During my recent (Nov 2023) annual health assessment my Dr. (also a lifter) recorded my blood pressure at 158/90. He offered me an Ace inhibitor. I refused and told him I would make life style changes first. We agreed that I would regularly monitor my blood pressure then let him know if I changed my mind on the ACE inhibitors.

Regular blood pressure checks at home ruled out the White Coat syndrome. My blood pressure were still very high.

Life style changes included, reduction of caffeine intake to one cup of caffeinated coffee per day and elimination of my one per day Monster White.
    I also reduced salt intake. These changes showed some reduction in blood pressure after 7-10 days.

Dramatic reduction occurred only after I began to use a CPAP. On recommendation from Stan Efferding, I purchased a CPAP on Amazon and began to wear it nightly. The quality of my sleep has improved immediately and my blood pressure is regularly in the 130/65 range. I have had readings of 120/65.

The CPAP cost appx $1,000 but can be returned within 90 days if you do not get the results you are looking for. Stan recommends buying a refurbished CPAP unit on eBay if you are on a tight budget.

Good luck!

Yeah I got a sleep study coming up. I been sleeping in the recliner. Was waking up with head aches.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin727 View Post
    Yeah I got a sleep study coming up. I been sleeping in the recliner. Was waking up with head aches.
    Skip the sleep study and buy a CPAP. If you don't get the results you want return it.

starting strength coach development program
    Will give it a try