starting strength gym

Thread: Best way to recover from bad recovery?

Default Best way to recover from bad recovery?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I started doing my NLP about 4 months ago. I was messing around with a bench/squat/deadlift routine before that....but it was all wrong.

So I have been making good progress and over the holidays I wasn't having any recovery issues etc because I was eating a lot of calories from all the extra stuff I usually don't eat.

Now that the holidays are over I am back to not eating much processed sugar, no pop etc. My body weigh isn't dropping, but I was/am having trouble recovering. Mostly from my deadlifts.

I got a food tracker app, and sure enough, I was not eating enough. I am fixing that, but my body feels wiped and I am failing reps that I didn't before.

So what is the best process to get my body recovered so I can hit my heavy sets again? Would it be better to do a week of light work while eating/sleeping a ton or should I just keep trying to go as heavy as I can complete while eating more? I just want to get back on track and keep putting more weight on the bar every week.

3 weeks ago I was pulling 5x405 for my deadlift set for each of my 2 days (Monday/Thursday). This week I failed my 4th rep on Monday and then my 3rd rep Thursday. I also had a bunch more soreness in my hamstrings than normal.

My Info:

Height 6'
    Weight 220 lbs (up from 185)
    Bench 3x5 at 255 lbs (up from 1rm of 240)
    Squat 3x5 at 300 lbs (up from 3x5 at 205)
    Press 3x5 at 145 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 at 405 lbs (up from a 1rm of 350)

Why don't you up your carbs to 400 grams a day and see what happens after doing that for a few days? How old are you by the way?