starting strength gym

Thread: 700g of carbs a day without being very active.

Default 700g of carbs a day without being very active.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I have problems gaining weight (been on 3500kcal diet for months and didn't gain any significant weight whatsoever). Now I'm approx. at 5000kcal, gained ~20lbs in 2 months.

When started I was at 190lbs with following nutrients: Protein - 190-200g / Carbs - 400-450g / Fat - 90-100g.
    Now I'm at 210lbs with: Protein - 210-220g / Carbs - 600-700g / Fat - 120-130g.

My main sources of carbs are rice/grains/rarely bread or macaroni, around 300-350g of them for lunch and dinner, and 100-150g of oats for breakfast. All weighed dry. I eat some fruits for breakfast. Generally don't consume sugar.

I'm not very active. I do around 2-3k steps per day (to the gym and back, or going for groceries). And might not go outside at all if weather is bad (In Norway it's nearly all the time) and it's rest day.

I'm wondering if this amount of carbs along with not very active lifestyle could cause any problems with insulin?

I'm 18M/6'2/210lbs maybe 18%BF (I can still see my abs a little bit). Getting around 9-10 hours of good sleep without waking up.
    9th week of SS, one year in the gym. Before SS been doing upper/lower split with heavy compounds and tons of bodybuilding stuff (sort of "powerbuilding" haha).
    Bench - 210lbs 3x5
    Press - 115lbs 3x5
    Squat - 270lbs 3x5
    Deadlift - 320lbs 1x5

At your age? Unlikely. Are your lift still moving? At this point you do have to add fat though. That will slow down the digestion of carbs too.

Hi, Robert.

Thank you. Yes my lifts are still progressing. Except of Press, but that's more of a technique problem.
    Do I add fat and reduce carbs to hit same 5000kcal, or do I just add fat to make 5500-6000kcal?

In terms of fat I eat 8 whole eggs + cheese for breakfast, pork(neck)/salmon(fillet) for lunch, and I avoid eating fat meat for dinner, giving preference to chicken or low-fat fish. So basically, I eat all the fat in 2 meals.
    I could start eating pork/salmon for dinner instead of low-fat meat, if that's a good idea.

If you keep gaining weight and increasing your lifts, that amount of carbohydrates wouldn't necessarily be a problem. You still have a lot of kg of body mass to increase and that deadlift has to reach at least 200-220 kg in your initial phase, which will demand a lot of energy (calories) and rest. Please keep us updated on your progress (or setbacks).

Quote Originally Posted by jukh View Post
    Hi, Robert.

Thank you. Yes my lifts are still progressing. Except of Press, but that's more of a technique problem.
    Do I add fat and reduce carbs to hit same 5000kcal, or do I just add fat to make 5500-6000kcal?

In terms of fat I eat 8 whole eggs + cheese for breakfast, pork(neck)/salmon(fillet) for lunch, and I avoid eating fat meat for dinner, giving preference to chicken or low-fat fish. So basically, I eat all the fat in 2 meals.
    I could start eating pork/salmon for dinner instead of low-fat meat, if that's a good idea.
    I would keep your current fat and carbohydrate target the same and just add more fat.