starting strength gym

Thread: Question regarding my nutritional approach on the Novice Linear Progression

Default Question regarding my nutritional approach on the Novice Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, Mr. Santana if you are reading this, I appreciate it, thank you. My name is Jonathan, I am a 20-year-old 5’5” tall, 184lb young man. I want to state that I have a history of being overweight and obese, the most I’ve weighed is 220lb. I started going to the gym seriously and strategically on October 30, 2023, weighing high 190s. Long before then, I'd been attentive to the knowledge that Mark Rippetoe provides through his radio/podcast, picking up on key concepts. I do, however, want to be clear that I was not doing the Starting Strength program in any way when I began going to the gym, and I am not doing it now. I’ve drastically changed my diet, I provide myself with high amounts of protein, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and cheeses. I currently weigh mid-180s, my appearance slimmed down with time, I don’t look obese/overweight at all in clothes now, and I am bigger thanks to the lifts, I do have a solid little belly which I love, but I can’t help but feel obese sometimes. I committed to Bench press, Press, Squat, and Deadlift. I implemented the Lat pulldown into my programming, as I could not complete a single chin-up when I began. My numbers on the first day were Bench 110lb 5x5, Overhead 75lb 5x5, Squat 140lb 5x5, and Deadlift 230lb 5x5. My program is as follows, Monday and Thursday Bench, Overhead, and Lat pulldown-now chin-ups, Tuesday and Friday Squat and Deadlift. My rule is that after four sessions of a lift, On the fifth session, I will increment 5lb to the bar, so essentially every 2 weeks. From October on, I began eating 150-200 grams of protein per day and I still do presently. Now after all those lifestyle changes, my numbers today are, Bench 145lb 5x5, Overhead 110lb 5x5, Squat 175lb 5x5, Deadlift 265lb 5x5. Taking the information and jotting it down like this has made me realize that I haven’t made efficient use of my programming in the gym. But I do see that the numbers have improved and that makes me happy, it wasn’t a total loss. Now today, I am starting to get interested in the Starting Strength method more and more, and I am determined to begin the novice linear progression as soon as possible. I am aware that this program entails making my sets 3x5 and training 3 times per week instead of 4, and that the jumps will be every session. I welcome any changes. I completely trust the proof and methodology that Mark Rippetoe has clearly shown disproves all garbage in the fitness industry. I am confused however as to the specifics which is why I bought the blue book and the gray book on Amazon and plan to study them carefully. I am also confused on the nutritional side, let me cite an article from the web page which talks about what I want answers about.

“Under no circumstances should an obese trainee be eating a caloric surplus. A balance must be achieved that allows the trainee enough calories to continue gaining strength, but that is restrictive enough to produce weight loss – which will come at quite a brisk pace when this balance is found.”- Starting Strength for the Obese Trainee by Nick Klemetson (2017).

You see I understand and have gathered from the novice linear progression experiences mentioned in forums and radio shows that the individual gains weight, some of which will be fat, and that’s inevitable. But then what about my case, I humbly accept I’m close to obesity and I am overweight, but if I were 220lb again, compared to the past, what would have changed? I like the way I look now; I have a nice little belly which helps with my lifts. But I don’t want to get any fatter than I am now. I also have a feeling Mr. Santana, that you might say that 5’5” 180-190 is good for the program and maybe I do or don’t need to cut down on the fat. My question to you Mr. Santana, is if I am already high in weight, what approach should I take on my NLP journey when I do start the program? Should I eat at maintenance until I can no longer make my jumps and then start adding more calories when I'm not able to?

“Fat, on the other hand, is where calories are stored, not used. Mostly, fat just lays there, using very few calories itself but hoping you’ll use the calories it stores as fuel for muscle contraction.”- Losing Bodyfat or Gaining Muscle Mass: Which is More Important? by Mark Rippetoe (2017).

I wonder and, forgive me if I am wrong, will I have a big boom in numbers just like any novice, or have I wasted my potential by delaying the Starting Strength program and doing my own very slow and sloppy program? Will I struggle to adapt to the new program as long as I feed myself adequately? What will I have to offer the barbell when I start? I think this sums up what I wanted to articulate and forgive me for typing so much, it's just that I do not doubt that the Starting Strength organization and its affiliates are truly the most reliable and real source for strength training and all the aspects that make it. So, I am curious and will ask as much as I can from you if you let me Mr. Santana. Thank you for what you help do and thank you for helping people achieve the best versions of themselves.

You are barely considered obese (BMI of 30) and BMI goes out the window the moment you start putting weight on the bar. How about you stay around where you are currently at and get stronger? I think that would be a productive use of the extra bodyweight. Keep in mind world class powerlifters are 242 at your height. Not suggesting you should do that but I am suggesting that 184 is not that heavy if you plan to get as strong as you can.

Thank you, I will do maintenance calories and start the program.