starting strength gym

Thread: Goal setting weight loss and strength

Default Goal setting weight loss and strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello my name is Matt I’m a 36 yr old man, 6’ 245 lbs, body fat somewhere between 30-40% (based on two “smart” scale estimates and photo references). I’m running out a linear progression, and currently my lifts are

Squat: 380 3x5
    Deadlift: 435 1x5
    Bench: 255 3x5
    OHP: 160 3x5
    Clean: 155 3x5 (just added)

I started this progression at the start of the year after a few months of inconsistent training, so my main goal has been just getting into the gym more regularly. I haven’t focused on my diet too closely. Best guess is I’m averaging around 3k calories a day, but I’m just as likely to have a 6k day as a 2k day.

My body weight is unchanged since the start of the year which is fine, but at some point I’d like to work on getting my body fat back under 20%. I’m curious - what do you think is a reasonable strength goal before I start restricting calories more intentionally?

Given my current body weight would a ~2500 calorie high protein diet be enough to pursue further strength gains and lose fat at the same time? Or would it be best to take this progression as far as it goes and then figure out a calorie deficit while trying to hang on to the strength as best I can?

Have you re-assesed your fat percentage since getting stronger?

Haven’t taken measurements beyond the smart scale, but no real change there.

How do you know you are still 20% body fat then?

I’m above 30% would be my best guess based on the numbers on the scale not moving, clothes fitting the same, still having a pretty pronounced gut. I’ve considered getting a more accurate body fat scan, but haven’t made that happen.

Assuming I’m right and my BF% has stayed stagnant, any thoughts on how to keep going? I guess I’m wondering how strong is strong enough before prioritizing fat loss

I find it difficult to believe that you are over 30% body fat at that bodyweight and with those numbers. What is your waist circumference? Have you done skin fold measurements or other types of body fat analysis?

You’ve been training consistently since the start of this year? 2024? 2 months?

Consistent training (for years), getting stronger, and getting the diet under control will get you where you want.

Well I’ve considered going for a more accurate measurement, I guess I’ll give it go a soon and report back.

My waist is 43”

I think at 6' you can probably get down to 220-230 and be fine. I would run these lifts out before doing that though, you are in a good place strengthwise and using that leverage well.

starting strength coach development program
    Given your current stats and lifting progress, it sounds like you're on the right track! As for setting strength goals before restricting calories, aiming for incremental increases in your lifts while maintaining your current body weight could be a good approach. Once you feel you've reached a satisfactory strength level, you can gradually introduce a calorie deficit to help reduce body fat while preserving muscle mass.