starting strength gym

Thread: Body weight question

Default Body weight question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello my name is Matt I’m a 36 yr old man, 6’ 245 lbs, body fat somewhere between 30-40% (based on two “smart” scale estimates and photo references). I’m running out a linear progression, and currently my lifts are

Squat: 380 3x5
    Deadlift: 435 1x5
    Bench: 255 3x5
    OHP: 160 3x5
    Clean: 155 3x5 (just added)

I started this progression at the start of the year after a few months of inconsistent training, so my main goal has been just getting into the gym more regularly. I haven’t focused on my diet too closely. Best guess is I’m averaging around 3k calories a day, but I’m just as likely to have a 6k day as a 2k day.

My body weight is unchanged since the start of the year which is fine, but at some point I’d like to work on getting my body fat back under 20%. I’m curious - what do you think is a reasonable strength goal before I start restricting calories more intentionally?

Given my current body weight would a ~2500 calorie high protein diet be enough to pursue further strength gains and losing fat at the same time? Or would it be best to take this progression as far as it goes and then figure out a calorie deficit while trying to hang on to the strength as best I can?

Quote Originally Posted by Mws71 View Post
    Hello my name is Matt I’m a 36 yr old man, 6’ 245 lbs, body fat somewhere between 30-40% (based on two “smart” scale estimates and photo references). I’m running out a linear progression, and currently my lifts are

I started this progression at the start of the year after a few months of inconsistent training, so my main goal has been just getting into the gym more regularly. I haven’t focused on my diet too closely. Best guess is I’m averaging around 3k calories a day, but I’m just as likely to have a 6k day as a 2k day.

My body weight is unchanged since the start of the year which is fine, but at some point I’d like to work on getting my body fat back under 20%. I’m curious - what do you think is a reasonable strength goal before I start restricting calories more intentionally?

Given my current body weight would a ~2500 calorie high protein diet be enough to pursue further strength gains and losing fat at the same time? Or would it be best to take this progression as far as it goes and then figure out a calorie deficit while trying to hang on to the strength as best I can?

Why not just stay around the same calories but limit any junkfood a bit and keep working on your lifts. I think as long as you're trying to get your lifts up you shouldn't worry about cutting your calories back down. See if your numbers go up without increasing calories.

Let's start by dropping the 6k day. You do not need that much and that's probably what's keeping the extra weight on you.

The cleans: did you mean 5 sets of 3?