starting strength gym

Thread: Adapt the program during a cut

Default Adapt the program during a cut

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I have done the NLP for a couple of months now and made decent progress, however I also put on too much fat for my liking. I’m 188cm/6f2 and 110kilos/245lbs. So I am no going for shredded abs or something, I want to get rid of the gut though.

So I plan to go into a caloric deficit for the next 8-10 weeks. Id appreciate advice on how to adapt the training so to minimise strength and muscle loss.

Define decent progress.

When you're losing weight, the only thing that changes is that you now have a primary suspect whenever the question is "why did I miss reps". You still program as if your main goal is to gain as much strength as possible. You address missed reps the same way as before, except with the calorie deficit tying one arm behind your back. Make sure you're sleeping as much as possible, make increases in weight less frequently, and possible implement conservative resets. It's kind of like riding a bicycle with a missing wheel nut. Go carefully and don't be surprised when the wheels come off.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    When you're losing weight, the only thing that changes is that you now have a primary suspect whenever the question is "why did I miss reps". You still program as if your main goal is to gain as much strength as possible. You address missed reps the same way as before, except with the calorie deficit tying one arm behind your back. Make sure you're sleeping as much as possible, make increases in weight less frequently, and possible implement conservative resets. It's kind of like riding a bicycle with a missing wheel nut. Go carefully and don't be surprised when the wheels come off.
    Well that sounds quite realistic. What about going down from 3 sessions per week to 2 workouts of NLP to allow at least 72hours of rest and recovery between each workout for maintenance? I mean I don’t expect to gain strength or lean mass, I try to prevent/minimise any loss while I cut.

Thanks

2 days is not enough for upper body. You need the third day to get enough pressing and chins/pulldowns in.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    2 days is not enough for upper body. You need the third day to get enough pressing and chins/pulldowns in.
    Good point, I’ll stick with 3 days per week then.

starting strength coach development program
    Rob's right. More generally: if you are not trying as hard as you can to GAIN strength during a cut, you will end up losing it. You might end up losing it ANYWAY, but the point is you have to fight like hell against the tide. That doesn't mean throwing a bunch of excess volume at the problem (just like during other phases), but it certainly doesn't mean reducing it.