starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Am I Supposed to be Eating?

Default What Am I Supposed to be Eating?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there,

Thanks for your time.

I am currently 6'4" and 235lb, and also handsome. I am very weak and most of me is a big round belly, like a care bear.

It's pretty clear I'm too porky around the middle.

I am two weeks into weight training, and I am loving it and seem to be getting strong very quickly.

Question: What should I be eating?

Right now I'm still working on improving my diet.

Lift day eating:

630am Wake and 75g protein shake
    12 noon 75g protein shake
    Pre-lift green apple and/or gatorade
    Post lift 75g protein shake
    6pm Dinner chicken breast and steamed broccoli, maybe with a lil cheese

I am thinking of switching out my 12 noon protein shake for more chicken. Is this a sensible way to eat for porkydaddy so I can make gainz and maybe lose the part of my belly that sticks out?

What are you supposed to eat when you're fat and weak?

2 Weeks Strength Training
    3x5x245 squat
    3x5x140 bench
    1x5x270 deadlift
    3x5x90 OHP

More meat and dairy products and less protein shakes for one. I'm not seeing very many carbohydrates here either. Did you read the position papers? Also, stop babying your deadlift. You slowed the jumps down too early or you are squatting high.

Thank you!

The deadlift is killing me. The grip of my left hand keeps getting pulled open so that's weird.

The squatting is actually surprisingly easy and there's more on the bar there-- I'm actually 'babying' the squat and struggling with the deadlift because left hand cant seem to grip thr weight very well

I'll go figure out what a position paper is.

The reason we always yell at people who show up underweight to immediately get to the correct weight is because it is easier to lift when you are at a decent weight irrespective of the "quality" of that weight. If a 150 pound, 5'10 guy gains 50 pounds of pure fat, he will be better able to gain muscle than he would at 150.

6'4" is tall, so 235 is not heavy. The main thing you need to focus on is getting your lifts up as efficiently as possible, and eating whatever you need to do make that happen. Down the road, you should probably think about 250, and the closer you are to that number when you NEED to think about that, the better.

This diet is not it. It is practivally a protein sparing modified fast with some workout carbs thrown in. This is a diet you should eat if you were like, an emergency weight loss surgery candidate. Replace every single one of those protein shakes with a gram for gram equivalent in meat or dairy and eat at least one decent serving of grains per day. You're gonna kill yourself doing this (or more likely, give up).

Quote Originally Posted by Itsjj View Post
    Thank you!

The deadlift is killing me. The grip of my left hand keeps getting pulled open so that's weird.

The squatting is actually surprisingly easy and there's more on the bar there-- I'm actually 'babying' the squat and struggling with the deadlift because left hand cant seem to grip thr weight very well

I'll go figure out what a position paper is.
    Are you using chalk? Are you using a hook grip? Show us a video of each lift.

Thank you! I'm gonna pay you for a consult. I found the sticky post.

What is a good serving of grains? Like a piece of wheat toast.

I just so happened to record my 245 squat workset 1 (I did 3 of these). You're not gonna like the angle I don't think. I was also able to easily do a 255 workset session yesterday.

March 12, 2024 - YouTube

I can re-record everything properly on Friday.

Really, though, I am more worried about what to stuff into my facehole, as a life concept. So I booked an appointment just now for Thursday. I also just realized that you're two separate people. I still do not really know what to eat.

And since I had to figure out Youtube, I'll upload the vid of what I've been um meal prepping? It's 200g of chicken in a box. I guess my question is a) is this good? b) what else goes in the box? and c) how much box should I eat.

March 12, 2024 - YouTube

I have also started including a greek yogurt based avocado crema (1/2 cup yogurt, 1 avocado, 1 jalapeno, cilantro) in the box (3.5oz of this). I am very skilled in cooking meat, but the volume suggested is astonishing. I'm not sure I can eat four chicken boxes in one day. I will ask about this on the call. I seem to be topping out at two chicken boxes.

For deadlift-- The gym next to my house is so very convenient but it doesn't allow chalk, so I have been pulling double overhand no chalk. I've recently purchased liquid chalk which should arrive tomorrow. I think that will probably fly if I wipe the bar down good afterwards.

I want to get big & strong but no more sloppy belly. I also have small, girly arms but they are somehow strong and I do not understand this. Two years ago I followed Robert's chin up video for fat people and I was able to chin up at ~215lbs and fat belly. And what the hay, because I figured out youtube, here's that

March 12, 2024 - YouTube

It is not hard for me to gain weight, and I could be 260 by the end of next month, but don't want to be fatso. So I would like to learn to eat in a healthy way that makes me good, get big and strong, and NOT turn into the blob again because it's no fun when it's on your belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Are you using chalk? Are you using a hook grip? Show us a video of each lift.
    Yes, OP, pics or it never happened....also I am 5'10" and 235 (and can definitely stand to lose 10-15 lbs.!) so your care bear belly may just be a poor self-image issue. Robert's common adage is usually "YOu're not overweight; you're under-muscled" IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    The reason we always yell at people who show up underweight to immediately get to the correct weight is because it is easier to lift when you are at a decent weight irrespective of the "quality" of that weight. If a 150 pound, 5'10 guy gains 50 pounds of pure fat, he will be better able to gain muscle than he would at 150.

6'4" is tall, so 235 is not heavy. The main thing you need to focus on is getting your lifts up as efficiently as possible, and eating whatever you need to do make that happen. Down the road, you should probably think about 250, and the closer you are to that number when you NEED to think about that, the better.

This diet is not it. It is practivally a protein sparing modified fast with some workout carbs thrown in. This is a diet you should eat if you were like, an emergency weight loss surgery candidate. Replace every single one of those protein shakes with a gram for gram equivalent in meat or dairy and eat at least one decent serving of grains per day. You're gonna kill yourself doing this (or more likely, give up).
    Maybach thanks for this post. As a fat (just BIG BONED, actually!) person (pretty much all my life), it is amazing to see how many MALES have these unhealthy expectations of what a positive self-image is. I guess the fitness mags have really done their job.

OP, my N=1 is that, even if people say you look fat, even if you feel fat, as your lifts keep growing higher and higher, probably higher than you even expected, you'll stop caring about what they say or your subjective, inaccurate feelings convey to you, because you know and feel how you're getting strong and you KNOW how important this is to your longevity and long-term health. The business influencers are lying (exaggerating) when they say a million-dollar business can be built in weeks, and the fitness mags and influencers are lying (misdirecting with an advanced lifter, when you're still a novice) when they show you an ideal male body.
    Eat your eggs, dairy, and meat, more than you want to, and witness how you start lifting more than you knew you could. Good luck and keep at it!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsjj View Post
    Thank you! I'm gonna pay you for a consult. I found the sticky post.

What is a good serving of grains? Like a piece of wheat toast.
    You are very welcome. Looking forward to chatting. Did you buy it already?

I like oats better than whole grains personally but if I do eat whole grains I go with high fiber tortillas, high fiber breads, or whole wheat pasta. Forbidden rice is good too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast