starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Am I Supposed to be Eating?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsjj View Post
    I just so happened to record my 245 squat workset 1 (I did 3 of these). You're not gonna like the angle I don't think. I was also able to easily do a 255 workset session yesterday.

March 12, 2024 - YouTube

I can re-record everything properly on Friday.

Really, though, I am more worried about what to stuff into my facehole, as a life concept. So I booked an appointment just now for Thursday. I also just realized that you're two separate people. I still do not really know what to eat.

And since I had to figure out Youtube, I'll upload the vid of what I've been um meal prepping? It's 200g of chicken in a box. I guess my question is a) is this good? b) what else goes in the box? and c) how much box should I eat.

March 12, 2024 - YouTube

I have also started including a greek yogurt based avocado crema (1/2 cup yogurt, 1 avocado, 1 jalapeno, cilantro) in the box (3.5oz of this). I am very skilled in cooking meat, but the volume suggested is astonishing. I'm not sure I can eat four chicken boxes in one day. I will ask about this on the call. I seem to be topping out at two chicken boxes.

For deadlift-- The gym next to my house is so very convenient but it doesn't allow chalk, so I have been pulling double overhand no chalk. I've recently purchased liquid chalk which should arrive tomorrow. I think that will probably fly if I wipe the bar down good afterwards.

I want to get big & strong but no more sloppy belly. I also have small, girly arms but they are somehow strong and I do not understand this. Two years ago I followed Robert's chin up video for fat people and I was able to chin up at ~215lbs and fat belly. And what the hay, because I figured out youtube, here's that

March 12, 2024 - YouTube

It is not hard for me to gain weight, and I could be 260 by the end of next month, but don't want to be fatso. So I would like to learn to eat in a healthy way that makes me good, get big and strong, and NOT turn into the blob again because it's no fun when it's on your belly.
    Just as I suspected. Squats are high and sloppy. You are not resetting your breath or your back for that matter and you are "repping them out" bro style. Bring your stance in a hair, toes out more and for now focus on going SLOW and I mean painfully slow on the way down. Take a big deep breath before each and every rep. Yes that means you will stand up there for a few seconds between reps. No more of this repping them out bullshit.

The meals look like a standard bodybuilder meal prep. Not terrible options.

If want big arms you need to get your bench press up and focus on it more during intermediate training along with rows (later). A 140 lb bench press and 90 lb press explains your arm issue. Time under the bar and holding onto the bodyweight will take care of this. For now you need to clean up your lifts. We'll chat more on the consult.
    Last edited by Robert Santana; 03-14-2024 at 01:05 AM.

I just had my consult with Robert and got some good dietary guidance. I have some more self-learning to do, but I'll post an update in a week or two about how my diet has changed.

Pleasure chatting JJ.

Hi again,

I just wanted to give a brief input since today was my training day. I decided I just wanted to reset everything and focus on better technique. I'm in no hurry.

Squat 3x5x185
    March 15, 2024 - YouTube

Bench Press 3x5x135
    March 15, 2024 - YouTube

Deadlift 1x5x225
    March 15, 2024 - YouTube

I would also say 5 nights a week I do some pretty intense social dancing for about 2hrs. I don't sit out any songs most nights (handsome), so usually I have a really high heart rate and am drenched in sweat by the time it's all done. More food in?

March 15, 2024 - YouTube

I also try to take two 30min walks around the neighborhood at a leisurely pace.

Here's what I ate today, but since it's Friday there will probably be some secret pizza later.

TODAY
    75g protein shake (water)
    Jalapeno cheddar Bagel w cream cheese 41g carbs 8g protein
    Jalapeno cheddar bagel w cream cheese 41g carbs 8g protein
    Two pieces wheat toast w/butter 36g carbs 10g protein
    Oatmeal plain 2 cups 60g carbs 8 grams protein
    150g cooked chicken breast 50g protein
    2 pieces wheat toast i aint got time for butter 36g carbs 10g protein
    (here it occurs to me i am just eating a post-modern/deconstructed chicken sandwich)
    Some (?) broccoli
    A few of those cherry tomatoes
    Pre-lift Gatorade 50g carbs
    LIFT
    Protein shame 75g
    Chicken breast 250g cooked 75g protein
    1 cup oatmeal plain 60g

I feel fine. The secret about me is, I can eat. But I don't know what scares me more, the shear volume of food or the fact that it doesn't really bother me (the Gatorade kinda does, it's too sweet). I'm already so fluffy. It's just tough to believe I need so much food. Isn't most of me already food?

Sincerely,

Chonker

The psychology of body image is very complicated but I really don't know how you can look at the guy in those videos and think of him as "fluffy." I see a skinny guy with perhaps a slight potbelly if you get the right angle. You are very much in an "add" situation, rather than a "subtract" one.

I would like some carb advice. It seems like a lot. Are y'all just eating all day?

I am using an app called Macro Factor to track.

For example, I eat:

Protein shake
    2 pizza bagels (bagels that are flavored as pizza)
    4 slices of multigrain bread
    1 cup cooked oatmeal
    200g sweet potato
    350g chicken breast

And that only put me at 290g carbs. We still got a ways to go!

I usually avoid fructose/sucrose unless training right after. Is this silly? Those are pretty easy carbs.

Is there a more efficient way to get stuff in my facehole? If I ever get too far from my kitchen, it feels pretty hard.

Hi again,

I also have some questions about sleep.

For the last four weeks since I started, I have had disrupted sleep. I seem to wake up at 3am almost on the dot every night, dodder around for 30 mins, and then fall asleep again. I moved mealtime away from bed time, because this was accompanied by getting REALLY REALLY hot (one of the ladies that comes over here says she couldn't believe how nuclear I get at night!).

Moving mealtime away and sleeping only with a topsheet and kicking girl out has resolved heat issues.

But I still wake. Is there something nutritional I to this? When I look at my macro tracker, I am still working on being in sync with the information Robert gave me, and am slowing growing toward those numbers. Right now I eat about 250g of protein (trying to decrease a bit), 300-310carbs a day (trying to increase), and about 45-75g of fat.

Follow up question: I love milk, and would like to drink it if benefits me. Would a little milk be useful?

Thanks again!

BONUS video new chicken box (people asked me which meal prep company. It's me, I make these every Sunday and Tuesday).

March 24, 2024 - YouTube

Handsome dude - you are not eating enough protein imo. And you seem to think you're going to blow up if you eat like a regular healthy male. Do you like burgers/cheeseburgers? You could make them out of ground turkey or beef. Big bowl of greek yogurt with some fruit, nuts, cereal mixed is good. You're doing a lot of calorie-burn activities which are fun but if you want to keep some fuel for your lifts you at least need to up the protein.

Just a quick update. It appears as though more food is making it easy to sleep.

I feel I am in dangerous spot. On a day where I ate 600g carbs (still from mostly complex carbs) I slept the best I slept in months. I don't want to associate overeating with good sleep

Robert told me to use a tracking app. I am using it pretty well and getting better at it. I'm currently on a roll and being very accurate for the last several days. I'll dump the data soon (it has easy export).

starting strength coach development program
    The amount of additional questions and data you have provided is not appropriate for boards posts. You have dived into consultation territory and like we discussed if you want coaching I do offer it but as stated in the rules I am not going to coach you for free over a board.

I will comment on your squat and deadlift though.

1) Get shoes

2) Stop divebombing your squats/slow down

3) Raise the chest, pull your arms straight, lose the pillow shoes, and reset each and every rep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast