starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood sugar crashing

Default Blood sugar crashing

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Lately I have been having an issue with my blood sugar dropping in the middle of the afternoon. My current diet is as follows:

Breakfast
    4 whole eggs
    4 eggs whites
    220g of potatoes
    2 pieces of sourdough toast
    8 oz orange juice
    1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt.
    1 tsp olive oil (used to cook potatoes)

lunch 1
    6 oz 93/7 ground beef
    1/2 cup of rice (measurement prior to cooking)
    220 g of potatoes
    1 cup of chicken stock

lunch 2
    6 oz 93/7 ground beef
    220 g of potatoes
    1 cup of chicken stock

Dinner
    6 oz 93/7 ground beef
    220 g of potatoes
    1 cup of chicken stock
    8 oz orange juice
    1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt.

Protein shake
    12 oz whole milk
    1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
    1 cup oatmeal
    1 scoop whey protein
    +
    2 pieces sourdough toast

I have had an issue feeling dizzy, weak and shaky in the late afternoon. It typically starts about 2 and a half hours after lunch one and lasts until shortly after dinner. At first i thought maybe my blood pressure was getting to low due to my medications a blood pressure reading of 134 over 82 determined this to not be the case. Then I thought maybe I'm not eating enough fat, so I stopped draining my ground beef. Still no change. This week my symptoms become so severe that I had to resort to eating candy and drinking soda because I felt like I was going to pass out. The next day I decided to check my blood sugar shortly after the symptoms started. I received a reading of 59 which is pretty low especially considering I had eaten over 100 grams of carbs about 90 minutes prior. This low blood sugar only happens in the mid-day. Fasting blood sugars in the morning are typically in the mid to low 80s. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Why don't you increase your carbohydrate intake in the earlier meals?

What medications are you taking that could cause low blood glucose?

Robert, would you recommend more produce than this in a diet?

I used to run into low blood sugars. I cut out carbs completely and it went away. You're eating a lot of carbs so it would be a pretty big shift for you, but might be worth a shot. Mine was particularly bad if I had a high carb breakfast, like pancakes, by 10:30 I'd have tunnel vision and feel like I was about to pass out.

Quote Originally Posted by That_guy_Over_there View Post
    I used to run into low blood sugars. I cut out carbs completely and it went away. You're eating a lot of carbs so it would be a pretty big shift for you, but might be worth a shot. Mine was particularly bad if I had a high carb breakfast, like pancakes, by 10:30 I'd have tunnel vision and feel like I was about to pass out.
    What are you are describing is a giant shift in eating behaviors. You went to eating a large bolus of carbs, high glycemic ones at that, to "no carbs" (which we all know is not actually 0 carb) and "it went away." You really don't think that spreading those carbs out would have produced the same result? The extreme position on carbohydrate simply will not die. This is like saying I drank a half bottle of whiskey everyday, trained like shit, slept like shit and got fat. I drink zero whiskey and it went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Copersino View Post
    If by produce you mean non-starchy vegetables, sure he could do that but that's not the issue he is trying to address here. Eating more of those would help lower blood sugar not prevent it from getting low. Not that we don't want him eating them, rather it's not the issue that we are currently addressing.

Seriously, this does sound like an actual endocrine problem. 59 is pretty low, especially when there's no intense exercise (at least, it doesn't sound like it) and in non-insulin taking diabetics basically doesn't happen out of nowhere. You can try eating more carbs but you probably should talk to a doctor. This isn't a diet problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Why don't you increase your carbohydrate intake in the earlier meals?
    Today I removed the sourdough bread from my last meal and instead had half a peanut butter sandwich with both of my lunches. I still noticed a slight drop in my blood sugar this afternoon but nothing like I was experiencing previously. So moving forward I will opt to have a whole peanut butter sandwich with both lunches and i think this should fix the issue. It is hard for me to add more rice or potatoes as I pack my meals in a thermos and only have so much room. Thanks for your advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Copersino View Post
    I usually eat what ever vegetable my wife makes with dinner. So long as its not something that is prepared with a lot of extra fat. I don't eat a lot of vegetables or fruit through out the day because every time I eat a lot of produce I start having terrible diarrhea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast