starting strength gym

Thread: Carbs: 300 g./day - how?

Default Carbs: 300 g./day - how?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm aiming for 300 g./day of carbs, but how? Even with carb-rich food at all 3 meals, I'm coming up short.

For example: a cup of oatmeal at breakfast is 28 g. One boiled sweet potato at lunch is 30 grams. And a cup of rice at dinner is 50 g. That's plenty filling, but a grand total for the day of only 108 g. Not even close.

Help?

I'm 67, been training for 2 years. Hoping to keep getting stronger, but lose some fat, which is now about 31% of bodyweight. 5'11", 217 lb.

Thanks.

A 1/2 cup of oatmeal is 28. At your age you can probably get away with 250 though. Throw a couple bananas in the oatmeal and pair the rice with beans. It's interesting how hard it actually is to eat lots of carbs when you control for fat (I.e. eating high quality carb sources) yet the phobia is real.

I mean, the main downside of lower quality carbs is that they are basically completely unsatisfying. Stuff like GI and all goes out the window if you're eating good protein and plenty of fiber. Just put a little honey on that oatmeal.

Bagel. Gatorade. Starchy vegetables. Rice. Beans. Tortillas (quesadilla). Bran cereal (added to Greek yogurt).