starting strength gym

Thread: 6'2" 280 and Fat, How many calories should I be consuming?

Default 6'2" 280 and Fat, How many calories should I be consuming?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've pretty much lived a sedentary lifestyle since covid. Started my NLP this week. I've been strong in the past, but have never trained in this manner. Mostly a bro-split or a pair of Upper and Lower days a week. Now I'm sitting at 280 with a 48" belly button measurement. I've lost about 15 lbs this spring training with Kettlebells and eating 2,000-2,500 kcals a day with about 180-220 grams of protein. I now have my barbell set up in place and am ready to train.

1.) I know I really need to lose belly fat.
    2.) I know I really need to rebuild my strength.
    3.) I've always been a chubby kid that had a hard time losing weight.

How many calories are too few for this program? Is 2500 enough if I'm getting adequate protein? Should it be higher? The staples of my diet are right now have been Chicken Breast, Veggies, Potatoes, Greek Yogurt, Fruit, and Whole Eggs. I have gout and high blood pressure. I occasionally will add some beef, but have to watch that. I know how to organize and plan a diet, and have in the past. But, having never run an NLP or really trained with a powerlifting style, I don't really know what kind of calorie goal to set. Any help or anecdotes would be appreciated.

Why don't you lose 40 lb and build back up? 2500-3000 should be sufficient for you because you will use your fat stores for energy for a while. How far along are you into the program?

Started Monday with progressive sets of 5 to find my starting point. Listened to the blue book and the gray book while building my home gym out. My first true workout was today. Squat 3x5 @ 215. Press 3x5 @ 145. Deadlift 1x5 @ 275. Have been swinging kettlebells, doing pushups & band assisted dips for the past couple of months. I usually walk 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week. Not aggressive walks, but also not slow. If I don't go for walks, I get around 3,000 steps a day. With the walks, it is around 5,000-7,000 steps.

So, sticking with 2500-3000 calories and doing the program should be good?

I'd mix in some intense conditioning or make your walks harder to offset the more sedentary days. Those are decent baselines so just start adding and micro load the press in the next week or two. You don't need all that other stuff. 2500-3000 is a good start yes.

Thank you for your time & advice

starting strength coach development program
    Anytime.