starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef Liver Recipe

Default Beef Liver Recipe

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have never had beef liver that I can stomach. I want to add it to my diet...

Anyone have a liver recipe that is guaranteed to be good?

sb

Ever had liver pate?

+1 on pate. When I get a hog done, I always get Braunschweiger made. Two of my three boys and I can go to town on that stuff - and beef liver pate is similar. Raw onion and black pepper go well with it, and a nice curry powder if I'm feeling fancy.

We get our beef from a local farm, and the liver is absolutely different from grocery store liver. When cooked no more than medium, or better, medium rare (this is very important), it doesn't have nearly as much of that distinctive blood/liver taste, and is a lot closer to steak, honestly. A boldly flavored sauce can help, too.

I haven't tried this one yet, but I've seen advice to grind it with beef at about a 1:4 ratio, to get ground beef that sneaks the liver under the radar. I plan to try it, but haven't gotten around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Ever had liver pate?
    I have not...gonna google a recipe or two.

Thanks for the suggestion.

sb

My wife and I eat dozens of game animals every year down here in Australia. We aren't big fans of liver by itself in a recipe like liver and onions, for example. I'm also happy to acknowledge that when I've cooked it like this in the past IU have no doubt overcooked it and that's made the flavour and texture horrible.

When we want to add liver to our diet we usually make pate, or we add some liver into meat that we are putting through our mincer (you may call it a grinder?). So what we might end up with is a big batch of minced meat that is made up of any combination of venison, goat, feral pig, domestic lamb (we raise these ourselves and this is also where the fat comes from) and then usually enough liver to be about 10% weight of the final product.

In the past we've had batches with as much as 30% liver and it hasn't tasted as good to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    I have not...gonna google a recipe or two.

Thanks for the suggestion.

sb
    It's pretty damned good but depends on your palate of course.

One of the several odd foods my grandmother and I bonded over was liver and onions. The best way is to treat them like a veal cutlet. See Rip’s chicken fried steak presentation. Bread them and pan fry in extra virgin olive oil. Careful because they spit from the water content. Use calf liver as it’s milder. Cook the onions in a little fat for a very long time over very low heat until they are brown. If you want to be fancy fry a handful of sage leaves crispy as a garnish.

Find Hank Shaw's Cajun Dirty Rice recipe. Adjust meats to what you have or can get. I like it spicy.
    I've made it with both elk and deer liver mixed 50:50 with elk or deer hamburger and heart. It is delicious and I've served it to people who are sworn liver-haters and they liked it too.

One key to enjoying any liver is getting it as fresh as possible. Every day a liver sits either refrigerated or frozen it gets a stronger flavor. Extended freezing is a bad idea and it becomes catfish bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    I have never had beef liver that I can stomach. I want to add it to my diet...

Anyone have a liver recipe that is guaranteed to be good?

sb
    I get it from my local butcher fresh, but I go with veal liver. It’s much lighter in flavor. I slice it like 1 cm slices and fry it rare to medium rare in ghee with salt and pepper.

I have had the butcher grind it with my beef but the problem is liver doesn’t stay fresh as long as beef and also had a tendency to burn when frying my burgers since the outside pieces get hit hotter than the pieces inside the patty.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Find Hank Shaw's Cajun Dirty Rice recipe. Adjust meats to what you have or can get. I like it spicy.
    I've made it with both elk and deer liver mixed 50:50 with elk or deer hamburger and heart. It is delicious and I've served it to people who are sworn liver-haters and they liked it too.
    That's a great suggestion, L&F. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

As a side note, the best dirty rice I ever had was a batch I made using squirrel: Hearts, livers, and kidneys chopped up for it, with meat and stock made from carcasses left over from making something else. The flavor was very rich and nutty, and went well with the spices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast