starting strength gym

Thread: limiting bench

Default limiting bench

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am 49 and recently started the SS program. Had two back surgeries 10-12 years ago for disc herniations at L4/L5 and L3/L4. They told me during PT to stop squating and deadlifting and to never lift anything over my head. For the past 10 years I did a lot of bench pressing, pull ups, dips and arm work, but nothing consistent. Shoulders were upright rows and flies. No squating, deadlifting or pressing. Dealt with chronic back pain the whole time.

Began a group fitness class about a year and half ago and the coach convinced me to try deadlifting and squatting again, really emphasizing form. I began very slowly and cautiously but these exercises alleviated a lot of the chronic pain I had been having.

Right now my lifts are:

Squat 5/3 175
    Deadlift 5/1 235
    Press 5/3 105
    Bench 5/3 235

Should I limit bench to once a week and press twice a week, or stick to the regular routine. Progress on the bench is slow, should I change the program in regards to the bench?

I would bet real money that your bench will unstick after you get your squat and deadlift up to where they should be.

Pressing twice a week is not all that much different than the standard NLP. I would bet you could get a good deal of mileage pressing twice and benching once, at least until your press starts to slow down. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to at least make weekly or biweekly increases to the bench once the other lifts start to catch up, possibly even now for a few weeks. Your limiting factor on the press won't be absolute strength for a good long while, so some extra pressing practice would do you good.