starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training my Mom

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is great to read about. I’ve been trying for a few years to convince my 79-yo arthritic Mom to do squats and/or deadlifts twice a week but I’ve failed. You’re succeeding.

Thanks.

And for getting me to hold my horses a bit at the start.

I think it's been eleven but we missed a week and the first two were only with the broomstick. So I'm pretending it's only been nine.

Yeah I changed my account name. This is my actual name.

https://youtu.be/wdt0hctO_qs?feature=shared

The 20kg bar for the first time today. Took a slightly bigger jump to get there but I think it was worth it. Are they perfect? Far from it, but she's still there and making a lot of progress mentally too. She hasn't been hurt yet so can't be too bad.

Better than the bands the exercise physiologist would have her do, and far better than the tablets the GP would give her.

15 Mar 2024:
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shenfield View Post
    We tried my 15lb barbell from below the knee last session and she did 1 rep easily but freaked out so we stopped and tried lowering the broomstick with success at that mid shin level.

31 May 2024:

https://youtu.be/wdt0hctO_qs?feature=shared

The 20kg bar for the first time today. Took a slightly bigger jump to get there but I think it was worth it. Are they perfect? Far from it, but she's still there and making a lot of progress mentally too. She hasn't been hurt yet so can't be too bad.
    Martin, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing these updates. Thank you.

Better than the bands the exercise physiologist would have her do, and far better than the tablets the GP would give her.
    Y'all have tripled her weight AND reps on the rack pull in eleven weeks, and she's getting her life back. There's no way either of those interventions would have come close on either count. Well done.

I loved her comment at the end of the set!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Copersino View Post
    This is great to read about. I’ve been trying for a few years to convince my 79-yo arthritic Mom to do squats and/or deadlifts twice a week but I’ve failed. You’re succeeding.
    Sorry to hear that Al, you're more than welcome to show her this video if it might help. Mum's got two fake knees and she's getting in there and seeing benefits.

Having said that, Rip is right. It was a hard sell and if mum didn't come around herself not worth pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Martin, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing these updates. Thank you.

Y'all have tripled her weight AND reps on the rack pull in eleven weeks, and she's getting her life back. There's no way either of those interventions would have come close on either count. Well done.

I loved her comment at the end of the set!
    Thanks Jason. I appreciate the advice at the beginning. It helped get my head on better.

Yeah, we'll keep going as long as she wants so I'm hoping to see more results now we are at a better load.

I'm going to try introduce bench press next and then we will need doing the barbell prescription deadlift program.

I start training my wife this week too. An even more difficult case that Rip would tell me not to do, but these difficult women will make me a better coach and man.

Thanks Jason. I appreciate the advice at the beginning. It helped get my head on better.
    As always, you are most welcome. Much like Al (and I'm sure others), it does a lot of good to be able to read about success stories people have with their moms and other loved ones.

I start training my wife this week too. An even more difficult case that Rip would tell me not to do, but these difficult women will make me a better coach and man.
    Let no man ever impugn your courage, sir.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Let no man ever impugn your courage, sir.
    Not courageous, just autistic. Normally a hindrance to me, but my stubbornness has come in handy a few times and it is with great joy that I count myself as one of less than 5% of people in Western Australia to have had no COVID shot at all. No small feat in a place where you generally lost your job for refusal, and weren't allowed to dine in at restaurants.

My wife will be fine. I've said we just try 3 weeks of the program. Then she can do whatever she wants.

I'm in need of a new career so I figure if I can train these two people I can train anyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12