starting strength gym

Thread: "Axial fatigue" and the master/perpetual novice

Default "Axial fatigue" and the master/perpetual novice

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I've run across this term "axial fatigue" more than once lately. The gist is lifts that load the spine (as pretty much every fun lift does) create a special kind of fatigue. The argument then goes that in order to manage fatigue those lifts should be substituted with exercises like the leg press, machine hack squat, leg curl/extension, etc. This is largely an academic question for me because I won't go to a commercial gym more than once in a blue moon, but what does the Starting Strength community think of this concept of "axial fatigue" in general. Having done a few strongman meets, it seems plausible to me. I mean, a 5 event leaves me a special kind of fried. If there is something to it, are there exercises worth doing that don't creat this axial fatigue but don't require specialized equipment. I'm 52 with no athletic resume to speak of and picked up a barbell in anger for the first time in my mid 40s.

I've never heard the term "axial fatigue." How "special" could it be?

Based on the location of the spine, what might all exercises which "load the spine" have in common, that exercises which do not "load the spine" do not?