starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder question

Default Shoulder question

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So I'm 50 years old and pretty banged up from life. I'm not very strong, but trying (my 5rep #s are deadlift 396lb, squat 304, Bench 200lb, OHP 133lb). I'm not really done with novice linear progression but using micro plates I am increasing weights once-weekly and setting consistent PRs. My problem is my shoulders. I can't put my arms straight over my head and so I wrench my back pretty bad every time I press. I've been gutting it out. I do 3 sets of 2min deadhang 3x weekly to try and increase ROM, but my arms are still a good 30% forward at the top. So, do I try switching to something like a 60% incline bench to focus on shoulders over chest, try a landmine press, suck it up and just deal with wrenching my back every time I do OHP, or just quit and and resign myself to being unstrong forever (screw that!), or something else... I'm an hour's drive from the closest gym so limited in my equipment to barbell, squat rack, adjustable dumbbells, and cables. Any advice?

Are you wearing a belt when you press?

Yes sir. 3" starting strength dominion belt. It helps quite a bit.

Matthew, have you seen this recent video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C1cng6l3yw

I seem to recall this sort of thing being recommended for folks with the ROM issues you're describing, in addition to whatever else you're doing to try to address the root issue with the ROM itself.

Thanks Jason I'll check it out.