starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boxing as HIIT for fluffy novice redo

Default boxing as HIIT for fluffy novice redo

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello

Starting novice progression again after being off / busy / lazy. Would boxing (hitting a heavy bag) be good HIIT? I already have one so I would just have to put it up...

Absolutely, its a great cardio exercise. Do it after your weights or on a non lifting day.

What skid said. A 20 second or so series of heavy bag striking flurries is not only good cardio, it can also be very cathartic if you have some pesstivity toward some person or thing weighing on your mind. Even more so if you hit a BoB. That really personalizes it. The BoB also has the added benefit of teaching you good targeting skills. Even just walking around or shuffling for a couple of minutes between flurry rounds will be all the active rest you need. Flurries had my heart rate cooking along at 85% of maximum heart rate.

I haven't yet experimented on a speed bag to see if it has similar effects. Next week maybe when I'm over the flu. Just now I am so blocked with mucous I can barely talk.

Thanks for the advise!

I would be cardio, not true HIIT

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I would be cardio, not true HIIT
    Translation please? Any nouns, verbs, prepositions, or adverbs missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    A 20 second or so series of heavy bag striking flurries is not only good cardio, it can also be very cathartic if you have some pesstivity toward some person or thing weighing on your mind.
    Yeah, every office should have one!

Unfortunately (or not, depending how you see it), it has been shown that this kind of catharsis doesnt work. If you think of it, it can be even explained why not with our SRA or two-factor-model of strength training: Immediately after the aggression, you might feel relieved, because youre exhausted - but what you essentially did was training aggression for the long run.

On a larger level: So all these pedagogical programs for young offenders practicing all kinds of martial arts (and where according to the coaches they of course only learn discipline and comradery) - not the smartest idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    Yeah, every office should have one!
    I wish I had had access to one or the other when I was a cop. Alas, I did not.

Unfortunately (or not, depending how you see it), it has been shown that this kind of catharsis doesnt work. If you think of it, it can be even explained why not with our SRA or two-factor-model of strength training: Immediately after the aggression, you might feel relieved, because youre exhausted - but what you essentially did was training aggression for the long run.
    Evidence and citations please? I suspect the qualitative nature and predispositions to icky mean things like hitting as opposed to sitting in a lotus or Seiza position while chanting subvocally had some influence on the research team.

On a larger level: So all these pedagogical programs for young offenders practicing all kinds of martial arts (and where according to the coaches they of course only learn discipline and comradery) - not the smartest idea.
    No argument here. The Joint and other cons teach them this stuff already.

Catharsis theories, which never had any scientific empirical foundation, but were rather derived from all kinds of pre-scientific notions (aggression as "boiling pot"), including ideas by Freud, have been studied and refuted in the whole field of aggression and delinquence. So those non-scientific ideas are closer to esoteric vibes than the research teams you suspect of having ones.

Catharsis, aggression, and persuasive influence: self-fulfilling or self-defeating prophecies? - PubMed - NCBI
    The irrationality of the catharsis theory of aggression as justification for educators' support of interscholastic football. - PubMed - NCBI
    Emotional catharsis and aggression revisited: heart rate reduction following aggressive responding. - PubMed - NCBI
    A different view of anger: the cognitive-neoassociation conception of the relation of anger to aggression. - PubMed - NCBI
    Revenge: behavioral and emotional consequences. - PubMed - NCBI

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Translation please? Any nouns, verbs, prepositions, or adverbs missing?
    Sorry. English is not my primary tongue.
    Site has no edit button. Gave up.

Heavy bag is nothing compared to heavy push sled, fan-bike sprints, ect.

Not HIIT, as described by Jordan and others.

It's just "cardio". Fun. Practical. But not HIIT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast