starting strength gym

Thread: Flat back and epilepsy.

Default Flat back and epilepsy.

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi, i have a flat back or spine (lower part) and "fortunately" i have epilepsy as well. Despite that ive followed your program, and it works great, ive added 20kg to my bodyweight (I'm skinny naturally but I'm not very fat now). I' ve been to doctor with my back and when seen x-ray of spine he said, i can do everything. That was years ago though. Question is: should i change anything in my program? It is: day1: Squat 3x5, Bench3x5, Deadlift 1x5. Day 2:Squat 3x5, Military Press 3x5, Bent-over rows 3x5. I'm worried about squats and its affect on my spine. My epilepsy is well controlled by meds i take daily, so no problems with that. I'm worried that if i go real hard and heavy with squat for a longer period, i might f*** up my back. And im not even sure, that im squatting with right technique, though i have made some progress in added weight.
    Thanks for your time, answering my questions.

Depends on how flat your lordosis is. There a lot of normal variability in the curvature. Look at this page and tell me what your back looks like compared to Figure 1: http://www.jeffreyburch.com/home/jb1/page/105/45

Why rows? Does something about epilepsy, or your meds, contra-indicate power cleans?

Hello,
    I'll find x-ray asap but I remember doctor said, that my lower back is really straight like a stick.

I chose bent-over rows, because though this program is more focused on strength, I still want to have some exercise for my lackiest bodypart, which is back. My back is thick, but not very wide. Compared to the shoulder width.. I'd like to balance it a bit. My shoulder blades are naturally wider and they grow fastest (deltoids). So thats the reason. If power-cleans work better, i start doing them. Thanks for answers.

Is a flat back that much of a problem in non-ballistic-weight-training?

Since it is only compression and the spinal curve is mostly there to absorb impact as far as i know.

It's probably fine, as long as it doesn't go into flexion to an excessive degree.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the relation between epilepsy and weight training? I'm genuinely curious, I feel like I'm missing something...

There is none, that I am aware of.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LeinadAffar View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the relation between epilepsy and weight training? I'm genuinely curious, I feel like I'm missing something...
    When I was first diagnosed, I was told never to swim again, never to lift weights again, never to drive a car again, never to operate power tools again, etc, presumably because if I had a fit while doing any of the above, I might die.

If I stop posting one day and never post again, it may be because the doctors were right. So far, I've been fine, and I'm not even on the meds anymore.

Jordan has a cool acronym describing how the medical establishment tries to stay safe by forbidding everyone to live outside a plastic bubble, but I can't remember what it is.