starting strength gym

Thread: Exercise pairings - Chins

Default Exercise pairings - Chins

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I often see that folks on this forum do Chins on Bench day. It feels to me that the pecs are very involved with the Chinning movement and benching followed by chins will limit the number of chins you can do. I've programed Chins on Press day. Seems to work well. Am I missing something? Are there advantages to doing Chins on Bench day?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    I often see that folks on this forum do Chins on Bench day. It feels to me that the pecs are very involved with the Chinning movement and benching followed by chins will limit the number of chins you can do. I've programed Chins on Press day. Seems to work well. Am I missing something? Are there advantages to doing Chins on Bench day?
    What do you mean by "it feels...that the pecs are very involved with the chinning movement?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    I've programed Chins on Press day. Seems to work well.

Where you experiencing failed reps?

I don't think it amounts to much more than preference and occasionally to splitting up the overall systemic stress.

Andy has a lot of guys do chins with deads or squats. I imagine this is to make the day with all of the pressing movements an easier day and the other day the ball buster. You could also make the argument that as much as bench might hinder chins, doing chins the day before deads may hinder them. I imagine that deads also hinder chins when done afterwards.

I think it is mostly a moot point once you adjust to whatever setup you decide upon....until you get to where you get strong enough that everything fucks with everything, and then you have to choose to prioritize certain lifts each session while letting others take the back seat......and then even further down the road, you have to prioritize during particular blocks.

>>What do you mean by "it feels...that the pecs are very involved with the chinning movement?"

Means I can feel the pics contract as I chin up.

>>Where you experiencing failed reps?

No I can do more chinning reps after pressing than after benching.

>>Andy has a lot of guys do chins with deads or squats.

Sure. I squat then press then chin. The other workout I squat then bench then DL.

I guess you guys don't have a view on this. I find chinning after pressing works better than after benching. Maybe just for me.

starting strength coach development program
    I've always found chins and presses to be complimentary. I would pair rows/cleans with bench presses too.