starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should my goals be?

Default What should my goals be?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've been lifting weights for most of the summer, but not always with consistent attendance, and I'm just learning how to program my sets and lift properly. This fall I'm going to work really hard in the gym and get some instruction from a local pro. I want to set some goals for myself, but I don't know what's realistic. I want something I have to work for, but still be achievable. My time frame is now until Christmas. Here's where I'm at right now:

6'
    155 lbs (need to bring this up too)
    27 years old

Work set weights (I haven't done 1 rep max tests)
    Squat: 165
    Deadlift: 175
    Bench: 125
    Press: 95

What can I realistically achieve with 4 good months of work? Keep in mind I'm a retaliative noob. I'm up about 10-15% on each lift over the spring and summer.

I would shoot for a 900 total (squat, bench, DL). It could be a 300 squat, 200 bench, and 400 DL (or any kind of combo that gets you a 900). This would be for 1RM's, so I think it could be done, especially if you bulk up a little.

Best of luck!

How much weight should I look to gain? If I hit the numbers the last poster listed, will that give me big speed and vert gains too?

I think I'd aim to gain 40-50 lbs over the next 1-2 years. I don't think strength training alone will help you with speed or vert. You'll need more specialized training for that. Getting stronger won't hurt though, just be wary of gaining excess fat.

EDIT: You don't need to gain that much for a 900 lb total, but eventually I think 190-205 is a pretty good weight for a strong 6' guy.

I want a 4 month goal right now, what weight can I hit by Christmas? What weight is good for 900# total? If I get stronger, do some plyos and hills/sled work, that will surely make me faster, yeah?

I should also add, I eventually want to be a well rounded athlete, not just a strong weight lifter. Right now my general conditioning is good, but I lack speed and power.
    Last edited by rgz; 08-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.

No offense, because you seem ready to work hard, but you should decide for yourself how much you want to weigh and how you want to look, not ask others. Some people prefer to get as big as strong as possible, some want to stay super lean and just put on a little bit of muscle, and some fall in the middle. You have to decide what YOU want and then use the best tools applicable to reach your goals.

I don't know what I want because I'm not sure what the pros/cons of each scenario are. My initial thought is that BIG will impede with speed and athleticism, and scrawny won't get it done either.

Quote Originally Posted by rgz View Post
    I want a 4 month goal right now, what weight can I hit by Christmas? What weight is good for 900# total? If I get stronger, do some plyos and hills/sled work, that will surely make me faster, yeah?

I should also add, I eventually want to be a well rounded athlete, not just a strong weight lifter. Right now my general conditioning is good, but I lack speed and power.
    I think 900 lb total at 175-180 by Christmas is a solid goal. I don't really have any experience with improving speed or athleticism, but I think plyos and hills seems like a good route.

Quote Originally Posted by rgz View Post
    I don't know what I want because I'm not sure what the pros/cons of each scenario are. My initial thought is that BIG will impede with speed and athleticism, and scrawny won't get it done either.
    Ok I wouldnt go the "gain weight as fast as possible" route then. If you want to be fast and explosive, shorter distance hill sprints (maybe done post-lifting Wednesday and Saturday mornings) will be helpful. And like you mentioned, scrawny won't be as good as strong either, so I'd think the slow and steady weight gain method will work best for your goals. Think 4-5 pounds a month to start and maybe 3-4 after a few months. That'll help make sure the weight you add will be mostly muscle (though fat gain is inevitable during a bulk), which will allow you to be fast while getting strong.

starting strength coach development program
    After reading around here a bit, it seems the get BIG fast, do conditioning after approach is popular. I like what Briks42 is suggesting though. To make sure I have this down:

-3x a week do the starting strength program with squats, deadlift, bench, press, rows/cleans
    -About 2x a week do some more athletic & explosive training like hills
    -Aim for 4-5 lbs a month weight gain. Mostly muscle, but a bit of fat.

After doing this for a while, I should be strong and fast!!

Should I still do the full GOMAD if I'm not going for max strength/size? I think I can gain weight with about 4,000 cals a day. 4,500 would do it for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast