starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about continuing with "weak" abs

Default Worried about continuing with "weak" abs

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    First post, sorry if it's in the wrong forum!

I started SS about a month or two ago at 5'8, 180lbs and have had pretty decent results(not so much in looks or weight loss but my squat, DL, BP, military press, and everything has increased nicely!). As my squat weight started approaching 180ish, I started to feel a pressing feel in my lower abdomen(about 5-6inches below my belly button to the right). I stopped but thinking it was a fluke/bad form, I continued. Sometimes I'd feel it, sometimes I wouldn't but finally when I got up to 210, I just got so worried about it being a hernia I went to the doctor(fwiw I only felt it with the squat, never with the deadlift). Luckily, he said it wasn't a hernia but that he could feel that certain part of my abs was "weaker" than the rest. He said I shouldn't lift as heavy in order to avoid a hernia.

I really enjoy doing SS because it's nice going into the gym with a plan and feeling like I'm actually accomplishing something. I asked the doctor if there was a way I could strength it but he just said no, that's how I'm built. I know I could squat 210 and keep going but I want to be safe about it. I trust my doctor but at the same time, I don't really believe that this should stop me from lifting a good amount of weight and getting stronger. What should I do guys?

Most likely the worst that could happen is it progresses into a hernia. If that happens and you get it fixed right away you can be back to lifting in about 3 weeks post surgery.

If you want to lift, lift.

If you want to work your abs, then do it. Just don't over do it.

You can try to do some ab work, but really the compound lifts like squat, DL, and even OHP sort of work that area. I think ab work is essential for geared powerlifting, along with other specific back work, since you are lifting a weight that is much higher than your natural max. Your abs can be a weak point that can allow you to buckle. Since you are just doing normal raw squats, I would just do a couple sets of weighted abs 1x per week and leave it at that.

As for your program, you could so something more like GSLP. Basically you do 2 sets of 5 and one set of 5+. Take a deload, so you are getting 12-15 reps on that last set. Focus on moving the weight up 2x per week instead of 3. Take a light squat day during the middle of the week, you could even do front squats which will really work your abs. Now you will be moving up at a slower pace, and you will be doing a lot more reps. It will be a good workout, and the weight will be a little lighter to give your abs some time to adjust.

Do you wear a belt? If not, start wearing one. If you do, try to put it in a different spot (a little higher or lower), just to see how that feels.

The best abs work you could do to support squats happens to be squats.

I asked the doctor if there was a way I could strength it but he just said no, that's how I'm built.
    Your doctor is a moron.

Strength training is about adaptation. The need to adapt is there because with the exeption of Lady Gaga _nobody_ was born this way. Think about it, before you started, were you built to squat 210 pounds? Somehow you have one and only one muscle on your body that, unlike all the rest that were able to adapt, this one just can't.

Have the doctor remove the offending muscle. If he's right is not like it is doing anything for you.

Quote Originally Posted by devnull View Post
    The best abs work you could do to support squats happens to be squats.

Your doctor is a moron.

Strength training is about adaptation. The need to adapt is there because with the exeption of Lady Gaga _nobody_ was born this way. Think about it, before you started, were you built to squat 210 pounds? Somehow you have one and only one muscle on your body that, unlike all the rest that were able to adapt, this one just can't.

Have the doctor remove the offending muscle. If he's right is not like it is doing anything for you.
    A doctor telling you that a muscle cannot be strengthened would raise some flags for me too...

By the way OP, I have the same thing and I'm pretty certain it's just an ab strain. Just work around it.

I agree with a few of the peeps here. Nowadays in America where medical practitioners are sued left and right, doctors always prescribe what's best "for them" and not necessarily the best "for you." The best for them is for them to not get sued regardless if you can squat your own body weight.

Similarly (this is a far-stretch), most doctors won't even recommend a high-fat (low carb) diet because it goes against the gov't food pyramid and their AHA (American Heart Association) club's recommendations -- even though, there are tons of private studies that support otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Most likely the worst that could happen is it progresses into a hernia. If that happens and you get it fixed right away you can be back to lifting in about 3 weeks post surgery.

If you want to lift, lift.
    If it's going to progress into a hernia, it could from a sneeze, a cough, or a squat, so you might as well squat. You're stuck with it, it sucks, and there isn't anything you can do to make it stronger or prevent it from developing.

I had mine repaired on 7/15 and was squatting again, albeit lightly, on 8/15. I just started back to a normal intermediate routine today--mine was a double inguinal+an umbilical for the hernia trifecta.

Recovery isn't that bad, but not squatting properly for 3 months(1 pre-surgery waiting for surgery, 1 not squatting post surgery, 1 squatting real light) set back my #'s.

Oh my god. Find a new doctor. Your doctor cannot palpate you and tell you that your abs are "weak." Some doctors are stupid. Find a smart one.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Oh my god. Find a new doctor. Your doctor cannot palpate you and tell you that your abs are "weak." Some doctors are stupid. Find a smart one.
    This should be a life lesson we all teach our kids. I've only been in the "real world" a few years but it amazes me how many adults in high places appear to be just winging it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast