starting strength gym

Thread: Training with spondylolesthesis

Default Training with spondylolesthesis

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all,

Recently had a checkup for a nagging lower back issue turns out I have grade 1 spondylolesthesis. An xray confirmed it but as I am 24 years old it must have occured in my teens.

Now I've been on a 5x5 routine for about 6 months and made some good gains. I was told I can continue training the way I do now but must focus on form alot more. I was also told to strengthen my core, in the stronglifts 5x5 program no core exercises are included as all the big lifts strengthen your core already.

My questions are, what are some good core exercises for people with spondylolesthesis? And should I be altering my program in any way?

Thankyou in advance!

I know nothing about this, but there was just a thread in the Q&A about it recently: http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=34089&page=1

Thanks for your reply but spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis are two different conditions.

The OP in that thread is a bit of a dolt, but if you keep reading they start talking about spondylolisthesis.

I also have grade 1 spondylolisthesis (of the L5). Doc told me to strengthen my core and as I read up on strength training I found my way to SS. I ran SS from May - December of 2011, and am currently running TM. The strength training I've done has been life changing for me. The only thing I struggle with as a result of my back problems is excessive arch on pressing exercises. I've started doing OHP in a seated position, and with less back arch, my bench has less arch and consequently less leg drive as well. Other than that I've had no issues squatting or deadlifting pretty heavy (at least I like to think so - finished SS with working weights of 370/425 on squat/dead).

Been keeping on journal on bb.com: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=134256491 [/shameless plug]