starting strength gym

Thread: Buying cheap rope?

Default Buying cheap rope?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've been looking into the rope conditioning workouts because from all the articles and write-ups, I was under the assumption 1.5" rope would be cheap. It'd also be useful for pulling for when my sled arrives. However, the hardware stores around here don't have any that thick, and the boating store wants about $13 per foot for some (nylon rope - they don't carry manilla). Anyone have an idea where to get this for cheap?

I made a rope but it was a pain.

I bought 4 Manila rope lengths from the hardware store (can't remember the length) - I think they were 1/2 inch in diameter. I looked up a video for braiding a good climbing rope, and then had my wife help me braid it. It's pretty much a 2 person job just to keep the loose ends untangled.

It ended up not being thick enough for climbing comfortably, but my kids have fun playing with it. I'd aim for at least 3" thick if I had to do it over again. I do climb it a little, but it tears up my hands.

Edit: I think I spent less than $15 overall for a rope that would have cost more than $100. Sucker is pretty long.
    Last edited by yorick; 10-13-2012 at 09:25 AM.

If I was you I would head down to a Commercial harbour at night with a backpack and a sharp
    knife. Look for a super large Cruise ship with lots of people onboard, then cut the mooring line
    and stuff it in your backpack and then start running very fast, this is the cheapest way I can
    think for you.

We just bought a Manila rope at the gym and it was $120 or so for 37-40". Google harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwiggity View Post
    I've been looking into the rope conditioning workouts because from all the articles and write-ups, I was under the assumption 1.5" rope would be cheap. It'd also be useful for pulling for when my sled arrives. However, the hardware stores around here don't have any that thick, and the boating store wants about $13 per foot for some (nylon rope - they don't carry manilla). Anyone have an idea where to get this for cheap?
    Manilla Rope

This is not the best choice. It will tear you hands up.

Poly Dac Rope

A good durable rope that easy on the hands and you wallet is the Poly Dac.

Cost of it will be around $5 per foot or less.

Industrial Market

You should be able to find it at companies that work with heavy equipment companies. You should be able to locate on in your state, if not your town.

2" Thick

A 2" Thick Rope works better than the 1 1/2". The cost for the 2" Rope shouldnn't be too much more.

Sleds

Hooking it up to small chain or nylon car strap works better.

Kenny Croxdale