starting strength gym

Thread: Old York Squat Stands

Default Old York Squat Stands

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm looking at buying these. Right now I am squatting off the back of my bench press (I'm only 5'6" so the height isn't an issue), and it's getting annoying to have to carefully make sure I get the weigh over the upright and set it down carefully on the pins. I know these would not allow me to go wild and slam the weight back in there but it would definitely be easier, and I think safer. Also, it's a free used bench press setup and I don't have any idea how much weight it can hold. I've had no problems up to 340 pounds but as the weight goes up I'm getting more nervous, mostly about the movable pins the bar sits on while racked.

My questions:
    1) Anyone use something like this, and if so I'd like your general thoughts?
    2) If anyone recognizes and has used these exact stands, are they sturdy? As in, do they weigh a lot (I'd be hoping so, since it doesn't look like you can bolt them to the floor)?
    3) Does $100 sound reasonable?

York Squat Stands.jpg

I use something like this. Free standing squat stands. Not sure, how sturdy they are, but you can contact York Barbell. 100 bucks is not bad. New free standing stands can run between 150-300+. If it was me, I would buy them. Safety can be an issue if you don't have a spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUAT_316 View Post
    I use something like this. Free standing squat stands. Not sure, how sturdy they are, but you can contact York Barbell. 100 bucks is not bad. New free standing stands can run between 150-300+. If it was me, I would buy them. Safety can be an issue if you don't have a spotter.
    Yeah I hear you on the safety. I have some homemade safeties that have lasted me this long (think cinder block stands and and two 3x3 pieces of wood), but they'll need to be replaced or augmented before long as well.

One thing that strikes me is how small the receiving catches are on this. I'd still need to be pretty precise while reracking a (relatively) heavy weight, which doesn't seem ideal.

Okay, weird, but I had these exact squat stands at my gym for a while. A friend of mine let us take them off her hands because she was clearing out her storage unit, and I thought I'd let my kids use them. I know people have probably moved some big weights on these, but I just don't think they are worth the multiple safety risks.

I would 100% tell you to buy the Powerline stands for $169 before you spend $100 on these.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
    Okay, weird, but I had these exact squat stands at my gym for a while. A friend of mine let us take them off her hands because she was clearing out her storage unit, and I thought I'd let my kids use them. I know people have probably moved some big weights on these, but I just don't think they are worth the multiple safety risks.

I would 100% tell you to buy the Powerline stands for $169 before you spend $100 on these.
    Thanks. That's the type of information I was looking for.

Russ you can come by our gym and try out the powerline before you buy it if you want. Also a good excuse to come visit us...

Micah
    (you sold me the ivanko plates in beverly)

Quote Originally Posted by mdeshaies View Post
    Russ you can come by our gym and try out the powerline before you buy it if you want. Also a good excuse to come visit us...

Micah
    (you sold me the ivanko plates in beverly)
    Thanks Micah. I definitely haven't forgotten about you guys down there. I was recently talking with a coworker who lifts about coming down some weekend. Just have to get it together and make the trip. I'll coordinate with you when and if we can make it happen.

Can't argue with Tamara. LOL. Gym owner and she did a video review on the Powerline.

starting strength coach development program
    We have some old York squat stands that really don't get used anymore. Ours looks a little different and definately much more heavy duty. They can extended to have someone my height squatting in them (6'6"), and guys at my gym have squatted a lot of them back in the day (700+). They have a pretty solid base too. As for the model in the picture, it looks much smaller/flimsier. You would probably be better off with a rack setup.