starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tonnage/Worload capacity as a training/strength goal.

Default Tonnage/Worload capacity as a training/strength goal.

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Has anyone her trained with the simple goal of maximum workload capacity. As in ultra-high volume highly loaded movements like squat or deadlift.

Training with the goal of being able to do massive amounts of volume. Through doing high volume.

I know theoretically, tat if you improve low rep limit strength (even with low volume training) your capacity should go up anyway.

But surely to be able to do 10 sets fo 10 reps of 2-3xBW deadlifts, several times a week can be achieved simply by doign regular high volume-but-heavy sessions.

And surely adapting to such massive workloads, is surely an excellent definetition of strength.

Yes

Surely.

stonerider Guest

it's called bodybuilding

What would be the point of training your ability to train at high volume for its own sake, as opposed to using high volume as a means to an end (whether it be hypertrophy, strength, endurance or something else)?

You can't very easily bodybuild with heavy weight, high volume as it surpasses the window of goodness for such pursuits. As with anything, mass will be added in response to demanding stress however. But it is a bit much without proper bodybuilding rest periods between workouts.

Volume is simply another form of tracking for periodization and progression. Escalating Density touches on volume nicely. Yes, there are many ways to train that track volume and require volume for success. But they also have separate requirements that need met to fulfill all goals. Training max possible volume for the sake of increasing volume is just those things simplified.

Ramp up your volume to nearly double your current program and then ramp it down while adding weight to the lifts. Like long term pyramid sets. If you're on a 4-6 day week this will work nicely. Repeat as desired. I spent some years on volume while designing the Super Max. SM is just a simplification and easier format for such things. My Super 60s also had a lot to do with work capacity and sustained maximal output. Any gains are then transfrered to specific requirments.

f4thpathway,

that is sort of what I am talking about. Ive noticed that a lot of strength athletes work phases, sometimes lasting a whole year purely to develop maximal workload capacity. A volume/hypertrophy phase which they at some point taper down into low rep limit strength.

Ive seen this in templates for Russian weightlifting like: http://physiqueconsultant.com/wp-con...ng-Program.pdf

Powerlifting pyramids in PP or Smolov Squat program seem to follow the same idea.

But these methodologies are usually aimed at athletes seeking to peak for a weightlifting or powerlifting meet. I am no athlete, I have shoulder and wrist injuries which prevent me from benching, snatching, jerking etc..

So for me, the idea of working very high volume deadlifts appeals very much. And I could choose to taper it down whenever I feel appropriate. Deadlifts back squats, and pull ups are the only real movements I can train heavy. I can do high rep/high volume presses without hurting my shoulder too much. My body proportions do not favour the squat very much, but they do for the deadlift.

So I really feel like capitalising on the deadlift, and building up massive capacity for volume in it.

My back broke even just reading about the prospect of doing 10x10 3xBW deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    My back broke even just reading about the prospect of doing 10x10 3xBW deadlifts.
    I know people that can do this or at least close. A kid I know who can deadlift 260kg@65kg bodyweight. Only ever does very high volume deadift sessions. Like working 10's up to max, then working up to 1 rm. Then doing as many back of sets with 5-8 reps. His programming consists entirely on "Bro" intuition. His success is probably mostly genetics, but I enjoy high volume deadlifting.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I know people that can do this or at least close. A kid I know who can deadlift 260kg@65kg bodyweight. Only ever does very high volume deadift sessions. Like working 10's up to max, then working up to 1 rm. Then doing as many back of sets with 5-8 reps. His programming consists entirely on "Bro" intuition. His success is probably mostly genetics, but I enjoy high volume deadlifting.
    It depends on the person obviously. The best DL in the world is only 2.66x his BW. This is why xBW may not be the best way to go about, espeically for someone creating a program for all different kinds of people.

Having said that, I think the high rep volume work can really help drive up your maxes, as long as you are training for that too. When I started working out with my PL team, they had me doing sets of 10's for DL and Squat. They even do 20's, but they saw how much air I was sucking in at 10 and had me stop there! :-) At first I wasn't sure about the process, but I trusted them considering their experience and records. I have been lifting like this for about 2 months, and I have seen great improvements in my squat and DL. My bench is progressing, but I wouldn't say it was any better than the stuff I was doing (lower rep plans).

You may have to change up your programming a little to pull it off. We have two heavier days per week and two lighter days. We do split routines, similar to what you would see in PPST2. Squat/DL one day, Bench the other. On my lighter bench day I do 5's for OHP and then my bench stuff. They don't do this, but I told them I wanted to keep OHPing in my program. The light day could either be DE lifting or 10's for volume. The heavy days are usually a week of maxes followed by a week of 5 or 3RM's, or some other similar scheme. I think this style of lifting could fit into the PPST2 mold... so you should be able to develop something with the materials you have.
    Last edited by Les Hahn; 08-01-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast