starting strength gym

Thread: Konstantinovs Uses the Sling Shot

Default Konstantinovs Uses the Sling Shot

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was looking up deadlift videos and obviously came across Konstantinovs, but this time I found a video of him benching with the Sling Shot that Mark Bell created. Has anyone ever used this thing? I don't plan on using one, but I found it interesting that Konstantinovs used one considering he's a raw lifter.

Last edited by Jonathan Vechet; 10-20-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Video

I could be wrong, but that looks like a close-grip bench. He's probably using the sling shot so he can use more weight for a close grip and get better at lock-out. But he could also use one-legged, bosu-ball, turkish-get ups, with a shake-weight; whatever works for him, he's spent years figuring it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    I could be wrong, but that looks like a close-grip bench. He's probably using the sling shot so he can use more weight for a close grip and get better at lock-out. But he could also use one-legged, bosu-ball, turkish-get ups, with a shake-weight; whatever works for him, he's spent years figuring it out.
    From what I recall, he doesn't use a wide grip bench ever. But I agree that might be why he's using it.

^not to be a dick but duh?
    no matter what grip you use it lets you overload the top. to roughly quote mark bell, it is like squat briefs but for the bench.

i've seen malanichev use it too.
    Last edited by simonsky; 10-20-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    no matter what grip you use it let's you overload the top. to roughly quote mark bell, it is like squat briefs but for the bench.

I also believe it's been said to help protect your shoulders, so no, not "duh".

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    no matter what grip you use it lets you overload the top. to roughly quote mark bell, it is like squat briefs but for the bench.

I never implied that the idea was profound or revolutionary; I was just answering a, presumably, honest question.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, a lot of guys use the slingshot. Acutally Overkill and Titan make a version of it that is more heavy duty. I think it can help the raw bench too, just like low boards (1 or 2). Benching heavy all the time to the chest can beat up the shoulders, so it is nice to use boards or the slingshot to help out.