starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front squats as assistance in 5/3/1

Default Front squats as assistance in 5/3/1

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been using 5/3/1 for a year and a half and I love it. My squat is getting near a reset again and I hope to stave it off for a little while longer. I've been LB squatting on deadlift day and either deadlifting or HB squatting on squat day as assistance for BBB. I've heard anecdotal evidence of some strength progression on squats using heavy(ish) front squats in the 5 range as assistance. Just wondering if anyone has any insight or opinions on it

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=27719

Mark doesn't seem to think it's very effective. I don't have much experience though so I can't say either way.

It depends what your weaknesses are.

Lately, I've been doing front squats as my second lift on DL day.

I do 3x5+, if I get 8 or more reps on the last set I go up 10lbs the next week. If I can't hit 3x5, Ill go down to my previous weight, if I hit 3x5 I'll add 5lbs next go around.

I like it because it gives me some more squat volume, rather than only once a week.

I have found them good in the past, as an assistance, but not any more....these days I find bottom up squats from the pins (Anderson Squats they are sometimes refered to I think) give me the most bang for my buck as a Squat assistance....I had developed a brick wall sticking point so thats why they work....Front squats worked for me previously, because I had a glarring weakness in my ability to extend my T-Spine and keep my chest up....as OCG said, it depends where you are weak

More often than not, quads are not the weakness ins someone's back squat...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave 321 View Post
    More often than not, quads are not the weakness ins someone's back squat...
    I agree. But back tightness can be, and that is exactly what front squat requires.

I'm not doing 5/3/1, but I did do front squats for a while and personally found them completely useless. They didn't do anything that squats didn't do, and were less effective at everything.

But if you like them then that's as good a reason as any to add them to your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I'm not doing 5/3/1, but I did do front squats for a while and personally found them completely useless. They didn't do anything that squats didn't do, and were less effective at everything.

But if you like them then that's as good a reason as any to add them to your training.
    I feel the same way. I have been doing them the last few months, but just recently decided to drop them.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zzt View Post
    Front squats worked for me previously, because I had a glarring weakness in my ability to extend my T-Spine and keep my chest up
    That is exactly what my problem has been. Looks like I may need to try them out for a while

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast