starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing modified SS at maintenance

Default Doing modified SS at maintenance

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So for a while, I was trying to do different routines to see "what would work the best for me". And to be honest, none of them really did what I wanted them to do. I did, however, learn a lot about things like better form, not letting my ego get in the way, the mindset of looking at strength training as a long term thing, etc.

So now I'm sitting at 220 pounds and a fair amount of body fat, not more than 16-17%. I am planning to start again with modified form of the advanced novice program, with squatting 3x5 heavy twice per week, with maybe a light day in the middle. I'll start a bit light then work up.

So just one thing: Should I keep the deadlift as outlined in the advanced SS, twice per week 1x5? Or can I do once a week with 1x5? I'm not sure how much it would affect recovery, since I'm going to be eating at maintenance. I'm thinking do it once a week, although start a bit light.

Ignore the title. It should read advanced SS.
    Last edited by kabuki; 12-11-2011 at 01:08 PM.

just try it. you will stall eventually

So I did my 1x5 dead today. Will go up 10 pounds next week. We'll see how long it can go.

Upping for more opinions.

GreySkull LP was basically made for people in your situation.

I think at some point moving deads to once a week is a good idea. Preferably not on your light day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    GreySkull LP was basically made for people in your situation.
    Not a bad idea either.

Advanced SS http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength has deadlift alternating with power cleans every week, so it would have me deadlift only twice per month. I was thinking that it would provide for a slower deadlift increase than squat, so I wanted to deadlift every week.

Quote Originally Posted by kabuki View Post
    Advanced SS http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength has deadlift alternating with power cleans every week, so it would have me deadlift only twice per month. I was thinking that it would provide for a slower deadlift increase than squat, so I wanted to deadlift every week.
    I agree. I'd try deadlifting every Friday.

One more thing, my bench currently seems very weak compared to my other lifts so I want to focus on that, what do you think of doing 3x5 bench on Mon and Fri and OHP'ing on Wed instead of rotating with OHP every workout? I've tried this once and it hurt my progress, but I'm not sure if that was because I was going too heavy too often (I was doing things like 3x3, 1x5, 1x3 with bench then).

starting strength coach development program
    You can focus on your bench later when you're done with SS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast