starting strength gym

Thread: Coming Back From Surgery

Default Coming Back From Surgery

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I just had a umbilical hernia repair, it will be 3 weeks this Thursday. I haven't done much except for some conditioning in 6 weeks.

Thursday I'm going to try for my first real training session post-op. I figure on playing it by ear and to use common sense... and wait at least a few weeks before abandoning the common sense.

I've snuck in and done 5 reps with the bar and 65 lbs, That all felt fine. I'll probably try 95 lbs tomorrow night.

Any other advice? I got the mesh repair in case you were wondering.

I'd ask the Old Man. Few people are better with rehab.

I had an inguinal hernia repaired with mesh in early 2008. I'd listen to your doctor's advice on when you can resume training. It takes a while for your tissue to grow around the mesh and you do not want to slow that healing. For me it took a while before I squatted or dead lifted and longer still until I was willing to wear a belt while doing so.

I really found machines to be helpful during this time as it allowed me to do something (especially legs) where did not need to support my body as much. Also, I was able to bench pretty quickly since your body is supported by the bench. I also did more conditioning work until I was more recovered. I'd rather be in great shape when the time comes to lift heavy again. I still remember walking on an incline on a treadmill holding 10lb DBs one week after the surgery.

I think if you use common sense you will be fine. I'm convinced these issues make us stronger in the end with a better understanding of the body. Good luck!
    Last edited by strong_over_matter; 12-19-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Not related to the surgery itself, but to the training following a long lay-off. Start easy. Really easy. Then, start going up as usual.

I had an inguinal hernia repair with mesh (laproscopic) in mid-October. Doctor's advice was to do nothing for 4 weeks. He actually gave me the thumbs up after 3-1/2 weeks but to take it easy at first and slowly build up my activity level and the loads used in weight training. I started out using 50% of what I had been using prior to the surgery and did a LP with all the exercises. The past 3 weeks I've been adding 10 - 15 lbs/workout to squat and deadlifts.

starting strength coach development program
    I haven't had any experience with hernia, but I'm wondering if you could go back to the doctor to get an ultrasound or something to determine that the area is a certain percentage healed?

I tried to do some research on this, and it appears some people are advised to wait at least 6 months before "lifting heavy." A lot of people say to just listen to your body.