starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: torso prone to cramping

Default torso prone to cramping

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I don't know if anybody else has this problem, but perhaps you do or perhaps you have some solutions and suggestions. I can make parts of my torso cramp at will and sometimes have to worry about others cramping at unpleasant times. Like, if I twist my torso to the right and pull my arm back (eg moving my arm like the eccentric part of a bench press), my lat, the serratus anterior, and sometimes even the top of my abs will start to cramp. Sometimes when I bend over, my abs will cramp up, sometimes violently, which is extremely inconvenient. So, any thoughts on this? It's just those areas around the middle of my torso that have this problem.

You're talking about being prone to cramping all the time and not just during workouts, right?

I've actually had this same problem within the past few months. I think stretching might help, but I haven't been really dedicated to stretching on a daily basis.

I actually get the bad ab cramps if I do very many situps. Like once I get my abs fatigued, I can't do another set that whole day without cramping up.

But I get those odd torso cramps around my ribs or lats when twisting or doing other unique movements.

Yeah, all the time. Glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully there'll be somebody else who's figure it all out...

I get this when washing my butt in the shower.

At the end of the day you're half man, half torso.

Been to the hospital twice for severe body cramps and dehydration; was on the verge of renal failire the first time. Salt tablets go buy them and take them. Perhaps potassium too but you have to be careful with it, I don't take any the salt tablets typically does the trick for my body cramps

I get these so much, I thought I was a mutant. If I'm bent over and I sneeze, something's gonna cramp in my abdominal area. Whenever I do rollover V-sits, every time I do the situp part something feels like it's exploding in my abdominal area. I thought it can't be regular cramping because nothing else on my body ever spontaneously cramps as much as my abdominals. I can do the ab-wheel without cramping but when I foam roll my upper back, sometimes my upper abdominals will cramp. I've never had a cramp during a big lift. It's that kind of cramp where something feels like "OH SHIT" and I have to immediately stand upright to stop whatever's happening.

One of the most painful cramps I get is right below my chin when I yawn, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by yorick View Post
    One of the most painful cramps I get is right below my chin when I yawn, sometimes.
    Alas poor Yorick.

I feel your pain, that's a nasty one and can make you look pretty weird if it happens in public.

starting strength coach development program
    I've always been able to cause my calves to cramp at will (as long as i remember) but other muscles didn't have an issue with... until i started doing SS. Now i get the weird cramps esp. in my back when i twist or reach.

This got considerably worse when i started taking creatine. Then my front abs started getting in on the action too and my back got worse. I've stopped taking creatine and it went back to the intermediate state. e.g. haven't had a spontaneous abs one in a while though i can still induce one if i try which i could never do before SS.

i've tried supplementing potasium (via NoSalt) and upping water intake, but they had no impact. (and yes, the under the chin one is awful. I've also had some at the base of my skull which are just impossible to stretch out and you just have to ride it out. ugh. not fun.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast