starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back injury from squatting

Default Lower back injury from squatting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Rip,

I'm 28 years old, and am doing the novice program. I originally started training last year, but took an 8 month hiatus due to a newborn baby and a busy work schedule. I've been back at it for about 4 weeks now.

I've been having an issue with lower back soreness after squatting. It hasn't been enough to hinder training, but I knew it didn't feel right. The pain is right around my waistline/just a few inches above my butt crack, to use a medical term. I started paying attention to the area when squatting, and began to suspect that I may be hyperextending my back on the way up.

This morning, on the final rep of my first working set, as I started raising from the bottom of the squat, I heard a pop and got a lot of pain. I managed to rack the bar, but was done for the day.

I'm now walking like an old man and have to hold on to something to stand up. Do you have any insight into what may have caused the injury, and any advice on how to treat it?

Thanks for your help

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...nnel_episode_8

Listen to this podcast to start and take it from there using your best judgement.

Pinche, I'm not qualified to diagnose the pain, but you mention the possibility of over extension right off the bat so that's the first thing I'd suspect. I hope the podcast gives you some insight for treating this and you seek the right care if you need a diagnosis. When you get back to squatting, get a video so we can see your back position or schedule a session with a nearby SS coach.

Pinche, I too am totally unqualified to diagnose the pain, however I posted a similar thread (albeit I'm not injured) and the place you describe could be your SI joint. It'll give you something to google. That said, I'm a total novice myself so do your own investigation into SI joint pain.