Thread: press and bench volume and intensity weights

Default press and bench volume and intensity weights

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    stalled out this week on my triples for bench and press:
    242.5 on bench for x3,x3,x2
    press at 167.5 x3,x3,x1

Rather than repeat workouts I was going to just go straight into TM to keep the progress going. I've been on triples for about 2 or 3 weeks now for bench and press. Just to confirm, does this make sense for starting volume and intensity weights:

Bench: 220 volume, 242.5 intensity (set of 5), 200 on light day 3x5
    Press: 150 volume, 165 intensity (set of 5), 135 on light day 3x5

If you are stuck on those weights, it is probable you would benefit from a little deload. Consider setting your 5 RM on bench at 235 or 237.5 and for your press at 160 or 162.5. Calculate your volume sets from those. This will probably mean you won't hit any PRs for about four to six weeks, assuming 2.5 lb jumps, but it will also give you a running start. If you can only get 167.5 for 3, 3, and 1, it is likely that 165 would be a struggle for five. You want your intro to the TM to feel reasonably easy. We'll see if any of the other blokes chime in.

Thanks. I tried 220 for 5x5 today and I got it, but it was hard as balls on the last couple of sets, taking 5-6min rest between sets. 90% at 235 5RM would put me at 210 for volume day, which seems way more reasonable to start with.

One thing - by my calculations, 235 for 5RM would take me 9 weeks to get to 245 for a 5RM, since intensity day alternates bench / press every week, so I'm only going up 2.5lbs every 2 weeks. Is that just the nature of the beast at intermediate programming?

I am training for my first Oly competition in the spring. My current plan was to do a Basic TM for about 8 weeks, then move into the TM Oly Hybrid program outlined in the book. My reasoning here was I need the Basic template to get my Squat and DL up to 365/450ish x5 before I start working up to max singles. In addition, I am just now learning to Power Snatch, so the volume there is probably necessary at first.

Just occurred to me that it probably makes sense to structure the bench/press setup to focus mainly on the Press, using bench on wed, like on page 125 of PPST3, given my goals.

Please let me know if this is a logical approach.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 11-04-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Combine separate postings

Nine weeks is a bit long. However, volume at 220 beat you up, which is not what you want at the start of the TM. There's time for that later. Since your 5 RM is probably closer to 240, it would be five weeks before you matched that and seven weeks before you go beyond it. Success on the TM usually relies on a running start and four to six weeks getting used to it is not significant in the context of a program designed to be employed for several months. I would do the standard TM as written until you want to start incorporating more Olympic lifting. Bench has its uses, so I wouldn't under emphasize it at this point.

You mean I can't just go straight to 315 seemingly overnight on bench like Nick?

Thanks for the feedback... I'll deload a bit and head on up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    You mean I can't just go straight to 315 seemingly overnight on bench like Nick?

Thanks for the feedback... I'll deload a bit and head on up.
    I try to ignore Nick whenever I can. This is true of everyone who is stronger than I am. That is going to get more difficult traveling with Jordan, but I am confident in my abilities to delude myself.