starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check and shitty deadlifting

Default Squat form check and shitty deadlifting

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    My last set of 295x5x3, felt pretty damn easy, easier than the 290. Which is strange, considering the fact that I'm cutting calories. But anyway, here's the vid
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ImeKjltUo4
    Now, for my shitty deadlifting,
    315x5
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUBL702k3M
    oh, how lower back injuries come back to haunt me, stupid fucking high school football "lifting" coach. Still have pain 3 years later.

Jsutt Guest

Deadlifts ain't too bad, although if you watch the bar path it's not exactly straight, particularly at lock-out and on the way down past your knees.

You're getting a little knee travel at the bottom of the squat, but otherwise they look pretty nice too.

Thanks for the feedback, I don't get how people struggle with lockout on the deadlift, I just suck off the floor, I never really have problems locking it out. But anyways, on the bar path am I just bending my knees too early which fuck up the bar path?

Quote Originally Posted by jake272 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I don't get how people struggle with lockout on the deadlift, I just suck off the floor, I never really have problems locking it out. But anyways, on the bar path am I just bending my knees too early which fuck up the bar path?
    People struggle with deadlift lockout when they fatigue their back from pulling with a rounded back mid-set, or have rounded to such a degree that they have already locked out their hips and knees, and can't use their spinal erectors to straighten the back, a job that they aren't supposed to do. You keep a pretty straight back off the floor, and don't shift your hips off the break. If anything, those two characteristics make your deadlift good, even if it feels shitty while pulling.

Your issue with bar path is because you technically aren't finishing the lift with full knee extension. It looks like they are bent about 20 degrees, and they need to be straighter. It's almost as if you're trying to protect the phone in your pocket. Before you deadlift, take the phone / wallet / things out of your pocket if you can . If you have a compelling reason not to (i.e. you normally listen to music on headphones), then fold your pocket over once towards the outside to secure it, so that there's no chance of the bar hitting your phone. Once you lock out correctly, your shins will be vertical, and this makes setting the bar down easier. Just hip hinge backwards until you reach your knees. Once the bar passes your knees, let your knees bend and let it down quickly.
    Last edited by Coconut Chris; 08-31-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Forgot about the phone.

Sharp eye there, Chris, noticing there was stuff in his pockets.

Jake, Chris is right--you just need to stand up all the way at the end of the deadlift. Any reason you're not wearing your belt for deadlifting? Does it prevent you from getting in a good starting position or something? I know there was a big hubbub about getting narrower belts for DLs around here because of Rip's article recently. I tried deadlifting without a belt for a while, but then I wore my 4" belt to deadlift a few times, filmed myself, and realized that it doesn't make a difference for keeping my back in extension. And it makes DLs feel so much safer and stronger. (I have a crap back, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    Sharp eye there, Chris, noticing there was stuff in his pockets.

Jake, Chris is right--you just need to stand up all the way at the end of the deadlift. Any reason you're not wearing your belt for deadlifting? Does it prevent you from getting in a good starting position or something? I know there was a big hubbub about getting narrower belts for DLs around here because of Rip's article recently. I tried deadlifting without a belt for a while, but then I wore my 4" belt to deadlift a few times, filmed myself, and realized that it doesn't make a difference for keeping my back in extension. And it makes DLs feel so much safer and stronger. (I have a crap back, too.)
    I just try to get as much weight as I can out of it without using a belt. Should I do that? Or should I just use a belt from now on on my work set?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jake272 View Post
    I just try to get as much weight as I can out of it without using a belt. Should I do that? Or should I just use a belt from now on on my work set?
    You will see contradictory opinions about this. I am firmly in the "if your back hurts, wear a belt" school of thought.