starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip's Latest Interview

Default Rip's Latest Interview

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    http://www.kennykane.com/mark-rippet...-and-the-ugly/

The always opinionated Starting Strength author Mark Rippetoe joins Kenny Kane and Andy Petranek to discuss his recent article, “Crossfit: The good, the bad and the ugly.” Additionally, he talks about his road as a mediocre powerlifter to well known strength coach. Check out this episode

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Looking forward to hearing this on the way home from work. Are you on the whole podcast or is there a particular time segment I should fast forward to when listening?

I'm not sure how they tagged it after I stopped talking, but it was long anyway.

Fun interview, Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    other than learning SS3 and the latest PP from front to back, is there a specific approach that worked well for you , regarding learning a competent amount of biomechanics and anatomy for the lifts?
    Just 35 years of experience coaching and lifting. Sorry.

other than learning SS3 and the latest PP from front to back, is there a specific approach that worked well for you , regarding learning a competent amount of biomechanics and anatomy for the lifts?
    Having a descent understanding of basic physics and in particular mechanics will help. Reading a few anatomy textbooks did wonders for me ass well. Were just machines after all.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Fun interview, Rip.
    I trained at Rip's gym in 93-94 while attending MSU. I was a dumb college kid and lost every single argument about training with him(mostly because I didn't know shit)...but he made me stronger and faster. So I have since kept my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open. I have coached in Texas high schools for 16 years and I still learn tons from him every time I hear or read something about his training. What's impressive about Rip (and he doesn't seem to have changed a bit), is his passion for his craft. It is the "entire body of work". Having coached 12-18 year old kids for a living for my entire career, Rip has also given me the means to explain to parents,(that usually don't know what a weight actually is and think they're evil torture devices to harm their precious babies),that there is a safe, scientifically and empirically proven way to strengthen young people in the weight room. A way that WORKS. My biggest fight in my profession are many of my colleagues don't know...and don't want to know about training. I appreciate Rip's 35 years of kicking ass in this field...because while coaching umpteen thousand sports and trying to implement strength training, it's nice to have a resource(SS3,PP,etc) to get it done right. Thanks Rip for the 35 years...keep it rockin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just 35 years of experience coaching and lifting. Sorry.
    You may have spoken about this before, my apologies if you have, but how early did you begin studying anatomy? During your competing years? Early coaching? While learning, how often did you actually sit down and study or was it more of a reference guide that you would refer to when trying to pinpoint a theory or biomechanical issue?

Quote Originally Posted by curlrackhog View Post
    You may have spoken about this before, my apologies if you have, but how early did you begin studying anatomy? During your competing years? Early coaching? While learning, how often did you actually sit down and study or was it more of a reference guide that you would refer to when trying to pinpoint a theory or biomechanical issue?
    I kept anatomy texts laying around the office, and when I'd get curious -- or more often, when I needed to answer a question, I studied the source material. This accumulates over time into a working knowledge, and this was mostly prior to being given a copy of Netter by my young friend Shirag Mehta MD.

starting strength coach development program
    Great interview. Very entertaining and informative. I'm very uninformed when it comes to the inner workings of the military, but would it ever be possible for a squad or platoon to utilize their own physical training during boot camp or specialization training afterward? I imagine these programs are inflexible? If not, it would be awesome if there was a unit willing to try your method of training to get to 400lb squats, 500 lb deadlifts over the same time as others training with more bodyweight exercises and constant running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast