starting strength gym

Thread: cross country

Default cross country

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

I've been on SS for a few months now with good results. Weight 162, squat-205(3x5), dl-255(1x5), bench 140(3x5), press 92.5(3x5), clean 135 (5x3), chins-7 reps. If I were to start training for cross country running for the next 3-4 months with the intention of getting back on SS afterward, what would be the best way to set up my lifting regimen /diet so that when I get back on the program, I will have maintained most of my strength (or possibly be stronger)? My running program will be based on a periodization schedule starting with high volume distance running and then gradually getting into HIIT. Especially during the volume phase, I highly doubt that I will be able to squat/deadlift more than once a week.

When will your competitions be held during the week?

Saturday

I'd have you squat/press, deadlift on Tuesday until the season was over.

so only one workout a week? No bench, chins, cleans? Wouldn't these lifts get weaker? Also, what about weeks where I am not racing? Also, what about diet? Should I still drink a ton of milk?

I ran cross country last year and would advise you not to go too high in the mileage but focus on quality speed workouts especially if you're still in high school lilke me. high mileage gave me shin splints and didn't help me as much as quality speedwork would have. i do think there is a place for high mileage, but my body was probably not developed enough yet for it and i did not raise the mileage slowly enough. also take note i read that some of the best high milers only run about 20 miles per week. it seems if you develop the speed, the endurance would not be particulary hard to develop.

sorry mess up- last part should be 'best high school milers only run about 20 miles per week'

Coach Rip -

In that type of a "maintenance" protocol would you have him 3x5 the Squat and Press and 1 x 5 the Deadlift as normal? If so, do you just keep the loads where they were, or would you attempt any increases?

Thanks,
    David

starting strength coach development program
    Cross country is not a strength sport, so strength cannot be your primary concern during your competitive season. I don't know much about cross country, but I'd bet that a big weight gain would not be useful, so no, don't drink lots of milk. But if you can increase your training weights on a weekly basis, by all means do so.