starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squatting With OSD

Default Squatting With OSD

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip. I'm 21, weigh 220 at 5'11" and squat 585 in wraps, deadlift 606. Recently I've been having chronic knee pain from squatting which, through reading, seems similar to what one would experience with Osgood Schlatters. Pain is localized to the tibial tuberosity where the patellar tendon ties in. It is sensitive to the touch and painful when squatting. Any tips on alleviating the pain and inflammation? Do I continue squatting, and if so at what frequency and intensity? Should I try one of those bands meant for OSD? Thanks in advance

It may be OSD, in which case you'll have to exaggerate your hips-back/knees-back/horizontal back angle position to stay out of your knees. But you still squat.

Do you train in wraps?

I had similar pain years ago and was diagnosed by a doctor with patella baja, and told no squats, lunges, running etc. I continued these activities and the problem resolved itself. Miraculously, I subsequently was cured of this permanent disability when It was confirmed by another doctor years later that I absolutely do not have Patella Baja.....confirming that barbells are the prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    Hey Rip. I'm 21, weigh 220 at 5'11" and squat 585 in wraps, deadlift 606. Recently I've been having chronic knee pain from squatting which, through reading, seems similar to what one would experience with Osgood Schlatters. Pain is localized to the tibial tuberosity where the patellar tendon ties in. It is sensitive to the touch and painful when squatting. Any tips on alleviating the pain and inflammation? Do I continue squatting, and if so at what frequency and intensity? Should I try one of those bands meant for OSD? Thanks in advance
    Would favor the differential being insertional patellar tendinitis versus OSD. Most, if not everyone, is asymptomatic from OSD by the time they reach 21 years old. I definitely wouldn't train in wraps. A patellar tendon strap might be of some use, but a coach would be of more use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It may be OSD, in which case you'll have to exaggerate your hips-back/knees-back/horizontal back angle position to stay out of your knees. But you still squat.
    Will do. Should I work with loads that keep the irritation to a minimum, or is aggravation expected and unavoidable for a period?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    Do you train in wraps?
    Not unless I'm prepping for a meet which I am not.

Will do. Should I work with loads that keep the irritation to a minimum, or is aggravation expected and unavoidable for a period?
    If you correct the form away from the knees, the irritation should immediately improve. Post a video so we can see what you're doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you correct the form away from the knees, the irritation should immediately improve. Post a video so we can see what you're doing now.
    I did notice that shoving my knees out more helped slightly, so getting my hips back should make an improvement.

Somewhat old videos but i have raw and belted training footage as well as my most recent meet
    Instagram
    Instagram
    UPA Washington 2016 Spring Championship - YouTube

Lots of knee in this squat. Certainly room for modification.

starting strength coach development program
    Re:OSD. Do you have the large bump? Where tendon is starting to pull bone away? I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast